Friday, April 05, 2019

1960's Dress Patterns


McCalls 5411

I LOVE this dress style.  It has been in the forefront of my 'gonna sew it one day' batch for quite awhile. This pattern is from 1960, which explains why it is still 50's awesome looking.  I love a wrap dress, so forgiving on fluctuating waistlines. It takes 3 3/4 yard fabric, which is just about pushing my limit of what I will accept buying, but only with a coupon and a sale.
Fabric is ridiculously priced.  On average it is 10 bucks a yard (for the "cheap" stuff) which means making this dress would cost about 40 bucks?!!
Add in your labor and most likely needed extra alterations for a good fit.
No, no boo boo.  I'll just make it from an old floral print thrifted sheet or something.


Simplicity 5408
I love this dress as well.  I like both styles and fabric prints.
Takes 2 5/8 yards.


Simplicity 5489

Cute style and only takes 2 1/8 yards.


Simplicity 4841

I like the kimono sleeves, which are easier to sew.  I have been thinking of trying out making this top section but with the bottom section of Simplicity 5408. 


Simplicity 8239 (1969)

Again I love wrap dresses.  They also mean you don't have to put in a zipper!  It calls for 2 3/4 yard fabric.  It looks so comfy!
These top 5 dresses are the ones I do want to make at some point.


Simplicity 3471

This was a pattern within the auction lot that I won.  Since it calls for over 5 yards of fabric it's not a consideration.  But I do like the cummerbund and the little cropped jacket.  Those pieces I could make to wear with something else.


Butterick 9792
Another pattern from the auction lot.  I held on to this one to possibly make the bodice section as a top, maybe.


Simplicity 3507
This pattern has seen some hard times!  The envelope is in horrible condition.  I like, of course, the wrap dress.  It's a size too small so I figured if I ever made it I could cut it larger or something.
I also thought the sleeves on the dress on the right could be used to add some 1930-esque style to some other dress or top.


Simplicity 5357
I am not sure why this pattern is still with my "keep" set.  I think it may be for the raglan sleeves or maybe to make the pencil skirt.  


Simplicity 8537 (1969)

I have this pattern in my stash because it has such a Jetson's look to it.  It may come in handy for a costume one day.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Love that wrap dress! So cute!
And I agree...fabric is ridiculously expensive!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I have been picking up fabric at estate sales and thrift stores recently for way cheaper than fabric stores. And like I mentioned in the post, printed or even solid color sheets are great to use. The gal's dress on the right top kinda looks like it could have even been someone's bedding!