Friday, May 11, 2018

Paris Ghetto Shack


Paris, Kentucky that is.  

After we left the Bourbon Cabin in Mount Eden, KY on Thanksgiving day we had to schedule another place to stay for one night.  PB and I found this adorable cabin on Airbnb that was full of vintage bits and reclaimed materials.  Oh it looked so cute in the listing!  It was located in Paris, KY which we thought was kinda fun to tell everyone we were going to Paris for Thanksgiving.  
Paris was not on the way back home or even going to take us through Cave City, KY which was going to be our last stop, but we thought it was so cute and fun looking.


The kitchen was made from vintage metal/wood cabinets and hardware.


Super cute Formica counters and an enamel bowl turned into a sink basin!


A vintage enamel top kitchen hoosier.


Lots of reclaimed wood, a sleeping loft, a cabinet full of antique odd tools and dishes.


The bathroom door had a moon detail on the front representing an outhouse.  The tub it's self  was a galvanized wash tub, all very rustic Granny Clampett-ish.

So like I said, the photos from the listing made it look great.  My photos make it look ok.  But this place was not ok.  It was located a few feet off of a highway in someone's front yard.  The dinky heater they had didn't warm the whole place.  The sink basin wouldn't drain. The bath tub looked unsanitary, the hot water didn't happen and the bathroom smelled like mildew.

But the worse part was the neighborhood was shady.  The houses across the street were all dilapidated covered in blue tarps.  There was a driveway for another residence right behind the shack and those folks were coming and going all night long.  There were broken down cars parked nearby.  But the final issue came when late in the evening I heard a noise outside the front door.  I jerked the door open and I swear I saw someone on the front porch crouched over peeking through the window that only had a half curtain.  I slammed the door shut and was trying to hold all of my weight against it and work the lock.  I was telling Mr. Husband to come help me push against the door, I just knew the intruder was going to push it open before I could lock it back.   
It was intense.  We waited a bit and decided we had to check it out properly.  I said let's grab some weapons.  The shack was full of heavy duty antique cookware.  I grabbed a massive iron skillet.  And what does my husband grab?!  A couple of freaking forks!  We didn't find anything outside but still propped a chair under the doorknob for the night.  Needless to say, we all slept together in the lower bed for safety and warmth.  The next morning since we made it out alive, we decided to take a few ambush photos to try to make light of the situation.


Here I am with a rusty sickle and some weird tool that we still haven't figured out. 


PB has a skillet and a grater.


And Mr. Husband Sir with his forks.


Around the corner from the shack was this neat old Mountain Dew sign.  Morgan's restaurant isn't there anymore which is just fine.  We weren't planning on staying in the area even for a stack of hot cakes!

The only thing fun that came out of this stay was we watched a bunch of the new MST3K on the shack's netflicks, which we don't have at home. 

Next and last stop, Cave City, KY!

No comments: