Monday, June 04, 2018

SpongeBob BirthdayPants Party


Me Hoy Minoy!

For PB's birthday party theme this year he picked Spongebob.  This was probably the most difficult party I have ever done partly because PB is a major Sponge-nerd and I am not.  I like to quote Squidward usually by saying "You know I hate you right Spongebob?" most of the time. 
However I have to say I pulled this party off like I am a regular at Weenie Hut Jr.s. 
Doodle Bob even came to the party!


I started off by watching an episode called Party Pooper Pants.  In this episode Spongebob throws a party around a kit (see my DIY version above) he buys at the store.  He then plans out every second on a long roll of paper, which I did as well.  I had so much stuff  planned in this party it took us most of the weekend to really finish it all.

Bikini Bottom Decor and Activities:

  
A classic joke used on the show all the time ( "____ years/seconds/days/ later"), however I added my own spin to it by having images of baby and current Sponge-PB-pants... 14 years later.


Jelly fishing!
I made a bunch of jellyfish out of construction paper and hung them on a couple of hula-skirted lampshades and the surrounding windows. 
I also made a reproduction of the main party wall in the Party Pooper Pants episode with white flowery wallpaper and a banner saying "Have Fun".


The Flying Dutchman and his Souls Bag..souls happen to look an awful lot like pickles, if you didn't know!  I painted the ship on a piece of scrap cardboard using glow in the dark paint and attached a set of green string lights on the back for an eerie glow like on the show.


Ear worm time!  
Round and round the record spins all day!
Also had the record player set up for 9:57: "Electric Jitterbug Dance Contest...Ladies Choice!"


We played a game of Pin the Tail on Horace, as seen in the Party Pooper episode.  I drew and painted this on the back of a piece of wrapping paper that didn't have those dumb serving suggestion grid cut lines on it.


8:15-8:27: Craft Corner.
I came up with this activity myself.  Draw SpongeBob's face while blindfolded!


I made an orange fish pinata like the one seen in the Party Pooper episode.  The pinata was constructed out of 2 white paper lunch sacks, orange streamers that I cut into fringe, masking tape and hot glue.



 In the episode, Spongebob filled his pinata with deviled eggs.  I decided to go with something less messy and used mini Cadbury eggs and Crabby Patty gummy candies.

All of the activities Sponge Bob mentions for his party we did also.  We had name tags, ate crackers while saying tongue twisters, read from the newspaper comics, said knock knock jokes, played charades, and we even performed ad-lib finger puppet theater shows.

"ENJOY THE FOOD!"



I had a load of fun party food inspired by Spongebob.  Above are mini chocolate bars referencing the episode "Chocolate with Nuts". 



Our own Krabby Patties, which happen to be frozen White Castle chicken sliders we found at Publix.  While we were in Kentucky during Thanksgiving PB had for the first time White Castles and fell in
 ''You want White Castle, need White Castle*" love with them.


Another nibble was graham cracker Scooby Snacks served in Gary's food bowl.



"Sorry Grandmother, we adults do not partake in the consumption of sweets."

One episode that I really do like of Spongebob is "Grandma's Kisses".  Spongebob loves to go to his grandma's house for the fresh baked cookies and handmade sweaters with love in every stitch.  She plants a big kissy-kissy on his forehead right before he heads into work and he then gets made fun of for being a grandmama's boy.



Spongebob then decides to become a responsible "adult", which involves having an appreciation for free form jazz and attaching fake sideburns to his face.



"Grandmother, kisses are for babies, which I am no longer.  I have grown up.  It's nature's way."

To make these cookies, I happened to find a pack of Valentine cupcake liners on clearance that had kissy-kissies on them.  I cut out a few and covered them in clear packing tape and attached them to the cookie with icing.  I had thought about making edible ones out of fondant but it would have been a ridiculous amount of money to spend on such a tiny feature, even with using a coupon.  So just pluck off the kisses before consuming. The cookies themselves are homemade oatmeal.  I also made a Bikini Bottom Jello Dish but it was difficult to photo.  I printed out and laminated a scene of Bikini Bottom and placed it on the bottom of a glass dish.  I then made a blue jello (representing the sea) to go over the top along with putting a few plastic palm trees on the island above.

I'm Ready...for cake!


PB and I are big fans of Cake Wrecks.  (see our Creep Cake Claus)  There are a ton of horribly sad Spongebob cake fails out there so I decided to try to make my own fail on purpose...however I think he turned out kinda cute!



Welcome to the Krusty Krab, may I take your order?

 I made the Krusty Krab hats from printed images attached to head bands, ties are construction paper, and the socks are just strips of colored felt safety pinned on.  I wish I would have come up with a better set idea for the photo but time was running out and the Krusty Krab is closed on Sundays.

PB said this party may be his ultimate favorite.  I was sweating barnacles over making everything but it all came together and turned out real 'coral' in the end!


* Weird Al lyric reference to "Whatever you like"

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Fab party, Mary! My 12 yr old (he'll be 13 in August) is a SpongeBob nut! He would love this! lol! Looks like a great time was had by all :) Happy Birthday to PB!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks! Feel free to snag any ideas you like! Happy (early) b-day to your boy!