Thursday, November 22, 2018

Squirmy Wormy Dinner


Happy Turkey Day!
Why go with the traditional turkey and dressing when you could 
enjoy some MST3K Squirmy wormy inspired edibles!


For our Squirm party eats I decided to use the idea from the movie when the local yocals are chowing down at the only diner/store in town.  The blue plate special just happened to be wormy looking spaghetti.  For our "cold draaaank" I attempted to make the beverage that northern Antique Boy requested, an Egg Cream, or for this meal, a Worm Cream.  What a disgusting concoction.  It's milk, chocolate sauce, and club soda.  No eggs and no cream.   Worms could be an improvement. 


For dessert I fixed up a batch of edible worms!  These are those "jello in the batch of straws" recipe that is all over the nets.  I made a plate of them with Roger being dragged down similar to the scene in the movie.


To serve the worms I put them in little mini bait boxes.  The bait boxes are just some "take home goodies" containers from dollar tree from the wedding section.


The edible worms are a messy and time consuming endeavor and I highly don't recommend making them.  The process sounds simple enough.  A shit-ton of straws standing on end in a tall container, pour jello/ condensed milk mixture in, and place in fridge till set.  The mess and frustration come in when you try to release the worms from the straws.  I even tried squirting some cooking spray down the straws first, which I do think helped some.  Squeezing these little bastards out over 100 times made my fingers go numb, and they didn't taste all that great either.  So I would advise maybe making a jello mold/cake in a skull pan with gummy worms in it's eye sockets like the movie poster, instead.

Now don't even think about heading over to the couch to nap...no, no, we've got Squirm themed activities...coming up next!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Looks like a good time was had by all, Mary! Happy Thanksgiving!

BTW, my mom is from NYC and egg creams are delicious!!! The secret is using U-Bet's (a chocolate syrup). It is much different than Hershey's. A little thicker and not as sweet. Also, use seltzer water instead of club soda. There isn't much of difference, but there is a difference. In the size glass you used, I would have used about an inch of milk, 1 1/2 to 2 inches of U-Bet, and then fill the glass with seltzer while stirring vigorously. It should taste like chocolate soda. Yum!

Sorry you didn't have a good experience with it!

I can't believe you made worms! I've seen that with the straws and thought...no way! I'm impressed!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I will have to get a hold of an egg cream made by a 'professional' one day. I actually did use U-Bet (it even had the recipe on the side of the squeeze bottle) but I don't think I used seltzer water. A friend of mine was telling me recently that there is an old timey soda fountain in Fairhope, Al that serves egg creams. We are thinking about going out there for a day and trying it out!