Friday, January 25, 2019

$1,000 Caramel Candy Pie



I love to make recipes from vintage Pillsbury Bake-Off winners, especially around the holidays.  The recipes are always something different and interesting.  It's also fun to tell family and friends that they are eating an $1,000 pie or even better, a $25,000 cake.
I made this $1,000 Caramel Candy Pie from Pillsbury's 4th Grand National Baking Contest in 1953 for thanksgiving last year and it was a big hit.

{click on image for recipe}



Even though it is full of melted caramel candies it is not overly sweet.  The filling is velvet smooth and the candied almonds on top provides a nice crunch in contrast.  I should have baked my pie crust just a bit longer for a more golden appearance, or brushed it with an egg wash but I'm always nervous of over baking so it's on the pale side.  The filling could benefit from a drop of brown food coloring to give it a small color boost.
I would certainly eat this pie again...only I don't typically like to make a recipe more than once (unless it's super easy).  But if someone else wants to make it, I'd get in line for a slice! 

No comments: