Thursday, September 05, 2019

Coral Reef Pie


When I first saw this vintage ad for Coral Reef Pie, my first thought was it had to be tuna fish. "Coral" is always code for fish in vintage recipes.  It even looks like a casserole of pink tuna with shredded kale, and probably some jello thrown in there for good measure. I think I even saved the image in a pinterest board for canned meat (see here if you need some ideas as to what to do with a tin of Spam).  I thought this even though there was clearly an ad for canned pineapple on the bottom.  I figured it was a pie made from pineapple and tuna, because why not?!  I then noticed, on closer inspection, Coral Reef Pie is really a true pie....sugary with delicious pineapple and coconut! Oh my word, two of our favorite things around here!  Not a fish fin in sight! I've got to make it!


My version did not turn out looking as pretty as the picture so I had the merkids come cute it up!


Recipe:
(click image for enlargement)

For the prebaked pastry shell I went with this Jiffy mix shortcake recipe.


My pink coral macaroon topping isn't as bright pink as the recipe's serving suggestion due to the outer layer being browned a bit from baking.  I would recommend scraping the top off a little to expose the lovely pink underneath.  I also figured the 'kale' was green tinted coconut meant to resemble seaweed so I added it as the original image suggested.

How did it taste?
Of course this dessert was yummy! 
You can't go wrong with pineapple, coconut, and shortcake pastry!

No comments: