Friday, August 28, 2020

Hot Corn Ring with Creamed Turkey



This dish didn't turn out looking good, but it tasted fantastic!

Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cook Book, 1961

"Leftover turkey inspires a luscious meal!  Here golden cornbread, crusty and brown, becomes part of the main course.  Fill center of Hot Corn Ring with Creamed Turkey, or an a la king."
This is an easy to put together meal using a box of corn muffin mix (Jiffy!), a white sauce, and leftover turkey.  I didn't use the recipe's ingredients for it's sauce but instead did my own version.  I typically use broth as the primary base and then a few scoops of fat free yogurt.  I always skip the butter and use as little flour as possible.  Any calories I can cut or substitute I do when it comes to everyday meals.



This was no everyday meal!  It tasted like Thanksgiving to me and it was absolutely delicious.
Very comforting! The type of meal that transports you to a better time.
A better time as in last year, last Thanksgiving. 
A grand and glorious time when we could go to restaurants, flea markets, movies, and monster truck shows without fear of being struck down by the coronapocalypse .  Like Archie and Edith say "those were the days...there was no corona then, you could go out with your friends..."

1 comment:

Vanessa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.