Monday, August 03, 2020

Porcupine Meatballs



Today I have a delicious savory dish called Porcupine Meatballs!

{image source}
Life Magazine February 1953
click on image for recipe enlargement

Make sure when you serve this dish to jab a fork through the napkin!

I took a few liberties with making this dish.  I used ground turkey and turkey sausage instead of beef.  I also think I used tomato soup not tomato sauce.  This was not on purpose, I just grabbed the wrong can from the pantry, but I would recommend it over the sauce.



I was a bit bummed that my meatballs didn't "porcupine" up as the ones in the original ad.
When I was browning the balls, that is when most of the spikes dislodged.  Another layer shed off in the sauce.  I think I have the few stragglers because I used more rice that the recipe called for.

The visual of the porcupine meatballs in the Hunt's ad reminded me of Beetlejuice when he was getting a little "anxious" if you know what he means...


I wonder where a guy, an everyday Joe like myself, can find a little meatball action...



How about as an appetizer served at Dante's Inferno Room in Winter River, Connecticut!?
(I jabbed a few rice "spurs" to these Beetlejuice balls for effect!)

No comments: