Sunday, July 31, 2005

Rubbermaid Retro!

So... Since Rubbermaid.com hasn't gotten their act together on promoting their new line I guess it's up to me! I found these in Walmart 1 1/2 months ago and squealed! The colors are just about a dead~on match to my kitchen and laundry room! I loved the retro look that the laundry basket and waste can have. They come in a dark brown color also, that when you see the 3 colors together on the display it is just beautiful! Additionally in this line, there is another neat looking slightly larger waste can and another not~ at~ all retro looking smaller laundry basket.
the waste can
the laundry basket
The stacking bin that is shown upside down (in the top photo) doesn't have any retro look to it except the color, but they (I bought 4!) fit perfectly in my very small bathroom storage closet. I had been looking for soo long for something that would fit and give the maximum amount of storage I could get and here it is! And in such a beautiful color! The waste can has a really neat vertical ribbed texture on the exterior and I like the oval shape to it. BUT... I love the laundry basket the best!!! I love that it's round and I love the weaved look and that the alternating ribs have a raised linear texture mimicking woven wicker !!!!! It was a very typical feature in items from the 1950's to be composed of man made materials but have the look of something in nature, only with a modernize twist. Such a fabulous little extra detail!
Another neat thing was that the box that they were shipped in to the store had a really cool retro looking silhouette of a maid with one of those sassy little head pieces on! You know those tiny lacey deals that always come with French maid Halloween costumes.. Yeah those. That would actually be a good idea for a matching accessory to make with an apron! hmmmm...
TOO CUTE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! i found yer blog via one good bumblebee~just scrolling down through all of your domestic goodness and had to tell you that i just bought this same aqua trashbin too! i love it! it's for my studio...man do i need one for all my scraps! :D ok, off to read the rest of your blog...

Anonymous said...

hi it seems to be a year since you made that post about rubbermaid retro. they STILL haven't advertised for it on their site... do a google search, and YOUR post is the only one that comes up that is actually about it.

i bought the brown top hat trashcan and a different laundry basket than you have but sadly i can't find anything to match with it :(.

have you found any other stores that sell the products?

Anonymous said...

Hi!I found a really cool laundry basket put out by rubbermaid retro.It's square,and has the retro colors of blue and green.I just love it and would like to see more styles and colors as well.Too bad noone can the line any more.

Anonymous said...

too funny. I have the same retro laundry baskets ... mine are brown... had them for 20 years probably!! I have five kids and they've survived them all! Too funny that they consider them RETRO now! :) I did just have a birthday, but am still "only" 42. Scary to think I have RETRO stuff that was NOT retro when I bought it. Yikes! : )