Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Can you tell yet that I love coconut?!


So here is this last Sunday's dessert. It appears to just be a modest coconut cake but oh no! This is the best cake I have ever eaten! I generally don't like to toot my own horn but this was some good shit!! The kind of good that wakes you up in the middle of the night and makes you think that it could use some company in the kitchen! The cake is just a prepackaged coconut cake mix. I haven't got brave enough yet to do one entirely from scratch. The icing is also prefab but it's cream cheese. But the filling I made myself! It was so fun! As it was turning from cloudy liquid to clear gel I ran the saucepan into the livingroom to show any victims that i could get to listen to me! Yeah, I really need to get out more! It is pineapple and the recipe came from the same vintage Betty Crocker cookbook I used for the Baked Alaska. I don't have 3 cake pans so I had to spilt the cake by hand which wasn't hard but not something I thought was a good time. I was really disappointed that I didn't plan ahead to make the filling that ugly mustard color as shown in the cookbook photo! My goal is for my desserts to look as color saturated as the cookbook photos depict!

recipe for pineapple filling
1/2 cup sugar * 3 tbsp cornstarch * 1/2 tsp salt * 3/4 cup pineapple juice * 1 cup well drained crushed pineapple * 1 tbsp butter * 1 tsp lemon juice
Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in pineapple juice. Bring to boil over direct heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and crushed pineapple. Gradually add lemon juice. Cool thoroughly.

2 comments:

Cynthia F said...

your blog is great!! i love old recipe books too- the pictures are always so cool!!
fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Hi...
Don't make fun of saddle shoes (I love them). Your cakes are great!!! You're right, your father-in-law is a hillbilly. Hint: I was with you when you bought the patterns. I'm enjoying your site very much!