Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Mail makes me smile!



I got a package in the mail today that I was not expecting! It was from Julia and was suppose to be just a check for a necklace and a pair of earrings!!!! It was much bigger than what a check would come in!!! Upon opening it I was surprised to find that besides sending a check she also sent a bunch of fabulous things to make me smile!!!!


Some adorable Michael Miller retro fabric and some AWESOME cook booklets! I have to say I am very excited about the 'FUN with Coffee' one! I tried to make a coffee cake a number of months ago. Not a cake to eat with coffee but a cake made out of coffee. I made a chocolate cake as the base and added lots of packets of cappuccino coffee mix to that. I thought it would turn out like a chocolate coffee flavor...No, just the chocolate came through. I honestly don't like coffee in it's typical hot form (but i like it in ice coffee and ice cream) but am intrigued with the idea of using it for cooking. Of course, a smart gal would have looked up a recipe online...But I didn't, I was trying to come up with something myself. I don't mind getting some help from vintage sources though.


on the last page of the 'FUN with Coffee" booklet it says:

...And there's still MORE fun with coffee...

* A fine reward for a good boy or girl is Coffee Junior- a big glass of milk turned into a prize by addition of a few tablespoons of hot coffee. Remember when you enjoyed Coffee Junior on Sunday mornings long ago?


I don't recall ever having this...Does anyone else??



Thank you so much Julia! I know you are out of the country right now so that will give me some time to get your package together!

12 comments:

butterfly cocoon said...

If you are for real, I've seen it all now....

Monica said...

I want to try that coffee junior, I thought I was an adult when I had coffee Ice cream!!!

vincent said...

I grew up drinking coffee milk, but it was with coffee syrup. Haven't thought of it in years! http://www.famousfoods.com/900.html

Handmade Girl said...

My mom used to give me "coffee junior". She didn't call it that, but I wanted to be a grown up and have coffee. If I drink coffee at all now, I have to put ALOT of milk in it... hmmm... I wonder why.

Anonymous said...

i grew up drinking that coffee syrup or postum with milk, also went to 31 flavors with grandpa and would get jamocha almond fudge ice cream and feel grown up.also loved coffeee nip candies as a kid. i, too, like my coffee with buttloads of milk now. and sugar! like the beastie boy lyric, i like my sugar with coffee and creaM!

Jennifer W. said...

Hope the coffee cake turns out eventually - I have had similar problems getting the coffee taste in items, even following a recipe.

Anonymous said...

We didn't call it coffee junior, but yeah, I totally remember having that when I was a kid! I also remember the argument I had when my grandmother wanted to feed it to my 12 month old! "Oh, we drank coffee all the time when we were kids!" Yeah, Grandma, and you're 4'11"! (Seriously!)

teacherarbc said...

We never called it coffee milk, but I remember drinking it when I was a kid also. And at my grandmother's house, I would get, "real coffee," (lol), when she would pour me a half cup of regular percolater coffee mixed with a whole lot of half and half and sugar!!!
Nowadays, I drink my coffee straight...go figure, lol...

teacherarbc said...

oh, and speaking of coffee...this past Tuesday, I added a vintage c.1961 short promotional film from the Coffee Brewing Institute on my blog, entitled, "This is Coffee!"
Check it out, you'll love it...

Anonymous said...

LOL re: coffee junior

I am a packrat when it comes to books of household and (heh!) sex advice from 1970 & earlier, I am just way too entertained by them. Good score.

elizabeth said...

what fun goodies!!!

Ward Jenkins said...

I'm so loving all those nice cookbooklets thingys that Julia sent ya. Yup, she knows her stuff!`

Hmm, I'll have to have Ava try out that coffee junior....