Tuesday, September 02, 2014

School House Rocks



On the first day of school this year, I went a bit overboard with the "table-scape" . I pulled out all of the vintage Fisher Price school related items along with a newly obtained one for display.  It's PB's last year of elementary school which means expect more exorbitant hoopla over the next several months on the topic.  It's my last year of elementary school too! Boo! Last year of class parties, fun field trips, and PB wanting me to come have lunch with him at school.  I have been dreading this final year for those reasons and more but I really feel that I grasped on to the former years and savored them best I could.  But watch out fifth grade!  Everyday is to be respected because I know it will be gone before I know it.

Ok, drying tears...Let's move on to something cute!

I found this great 1959 magnetic learning easel over the summer,  for a mere couple of bucks at a thrift. 

Adorable graphic!

It came with the original box.

The back of the box shows other Child Guidance magnetic learning boards/products.

I have kinda started a elementary school/ childhood bucket list for PB.  Some of the things we have marked off the list are simple but stuff I feel every kid should get to do. Some things like:
  • Eat old fashioned candy such as Wax Bottles and those white with brown stripes peanut butter bar deals...yum!
  • Make Jiffy Pop..As much fun to make as it is to eat!
  • Camp in the backyard
  • Feed the Birds
  • Fly kites
  • "Grill" hotdogs over the flame of the stove
  • Build forts from bed sheets
Those are just a few. One thing we realized we have never done was give his teacher an apple.  Just an apple seemed a bit too simple though.  So I decided to make his teacher a loaf of apple cinnamon bread instead.  It went over well!
Appropriately, I made the accompanying card featuring an image of a vintage Fisher Price Happy Apple!




No comments: