Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Are We There Yet?


We have a few trips planned this summer that are fast approaching.   To keep us entertained for a marginal part of the adventure I made us a few no-batteries-required fundries (that's sundries that are fun, get it?).

Everything involves laminated paper and a simple wipe off marker!
 Magic Slates! 
 Magic slates are so fun!  Finding neat vintage ones that still work is a bit of a task and can be somewhat pricey. While these do not have the added bonus of lifting the crinkly screen to magically remove the scratched-on doodles, they are still fun to doodle on. To make these I found a few images of cute vintage Magic Slates which I printed out and then laminated.  After the road trip I think I may put a magnet on the back and place them on the fridge for writing reminders and notes on. 


Etch-A-Sketch!
An actual Etch-A-Sketch is a great item for travel since it is all self contained and hours are needed to produce something decent. I made these really to just be wipe-off blank slates for drawing on.  

Dapper Dan (aka Woolly Willie)

Dapper Dan, in his original form, is also a self contained toy but truthfully frustrating to manipulate while traveling down the road. I think this is an improvement and much easier for facial feature fashioning since it only involves drawing. 

Everything I made is just printed images that I laminated at PB's school.  If you don't have access to a laminating machine, clear contact paper could be used.  I also mounted everything on card stock prior to laminating so it would have a more substantial backing.


Here are the images that I used if you are interested in making some road trip fundries for yourself!


 The Dapper Dan has a back with "serving suggestions"!




Because we do have a few small trips impending, MHICTY will also be on vacation for a couple of weeks.  I will see you all back in the near future with adventures to report upon!

1 comment:

Jennilee said...

Love the Magic Slates! So cute! And I think your idea is a vast improvement on Dapper Dan. I always disliked how hard it was to manipulate the shavings into something!

Enjoy your trips!