Thursday, June 29, 2017

National Waffle Iron Day



I love my waffle iron!  I am not sure of it's circa, maybe 1960's or possibly 70's.  I picked it up at a thrift store several years ago for 10 bucks.  The grill plates are double sided, one being for waffling and the other is flat (for flattening!).  The lid opens all the way over to make two flat grilling surfaces, to fry eggs or bacon on.  I use my iron nearly every weekend for hot pressing sandwiches.

For today's "celebration" I used it to make these bread and butter waffles.  The iron used in the ad is an earlier version of my model.

Bread and Butter Waffles 1955

(pssst...It's just french toast waffles made with sandwich bread!)

 Here is the iron in action!



Sorry Log Cabin...I serve mine with Daddy Buck's original cane blend syrup...since 1956 (because I love the cute little girl on the label and vintage styled design!).
The recipe is pretty practical for making 'waffles' by just using bread, just skip the french toast egg coating part.

I have made a bunch of fun things in my waffle iron, most recently PB and I made grilled fluffernutter sandwiches!  Yum! I have also seen some interesting waffling action happen to cake batter and biscuit dough.  The cake batter waffles were turned into ice cream sandwiches and the biscuit waffles were slathered in gravy!

Enjoy your waffle iron today.  Take a look in your fridge or pantry, I'm sure there is something around that could be waffled!


No comments: