Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Miniature Mixer


One of my favorite things to do is read old magazines from the 1940-50 time period.  I was reading through "The Workbasket", a publication for "Home and Needlecraft for Pleasure and Profit" recently.  I don't have but a small stack of these because I don't knit, crochet, or "make r d of 20 ds".  There are a few other non-yarn articles on gardening, tips for repurposing (Worn out chenille robes or bedspreads can be used to make dust and polishing mitts), and recipes (Beef Ball Ramekins).  The bulk of the tiny magazine is full of ads.  Ads for "Accordion Prices Smashed! Hurry ! Get in on these sensational accordion values." Or the highly suspicious "Your old fur coat into New Cape! Send no money, just your old fur." 
There are tons of ads for "making money in your spare time". You can train to be a beauty consultant by mail order or simply wear Fashion Frocks to sell to your friends.  Or there is the "600 ways you can earn extra cash without selling effort!  No experience needed!  Make big money with Salt n' Pepper sets, America's greatest craze!"


I came across this 1957 ad for selling greeting cards but was obviously drawn to the adorable Miniature Mixer salt and pepper set.  It is an exact replica of my 1951 Sunbeam Mix Master.  After a short search on ebay I came across an actual set with the original box even (9.99)!  On further inspection through other edtions of my "Workbasket" magazines, I noticed several more super cute salt and pepper sets: frying pans, coffee pots, telephone, toaster....  I can't let the "craze" hit me too hard, I don't have room for all of these mini seasoning apparatuses.  They aren't functional even.  The blender holds about 4 pinches of grounds in each beater along with having tiny shaker holes.   They are purely for adorable dust collecting.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh my, Mary!!! That is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! You know me and my S&P collection :) I just remembered I have a mixer set. It's teal, looks like a Kitchenaid, and came from Cracker Barrel. So not as cute as yours!

I love Workbasket! I have a few of them and will have to look through them for cute S&P shakers!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I thought you would get a kick out of this set, Jenn! There are several super cute ones in those magazines. Cracker Barrel is a fun place to find neat stuff. We generally stop at one during trips to walk around, stretch our legs, and get some old timey candy for the road!