Friday, February 15, 2019

Valentine's Decor


I love Vantentine's Day.  It ranks up there with Halloween, which is saying something.  I like it because as with Halloween, everything is optional.  Sure a gift of some sort is usually exchanged and that's a bit of a requirement.  But really it can be anything...simple treats or doo-dads, nothing over the top is required, just tokens. I see it as St. Nick Valentine stocking stuffers.  You can go to dinner or do something at home.  Make a fancy dessert or just have some cutesie Krispy Kreme donuts.  It's just about showing your closest sweethearts you are thinking of them.
You can also be very creative with Valentine's Day, as with Halloween.
So I opted this year, for the first time, to do some full fledged Valentine's Day decorating!



The table centerpiece featuring PB's He-men.  We bought these near Valentine's Day 2015 and every year since they have ventured out as part of the Valentine decor.  I picked the red fabric tablecloth up at Target on Christmas clearance.


The major bit of decorating I did involved clearing the main wall in the dining-room to put up this focal spot.
The honeycomb hearts and tinsel hearts all came from dollar tree.


The primary focus was the poster sized print I made of a vintage valentine card from my mom when she was a kid in the mid 1960s.  It is my favorite!


I attached several more of my mom's vintage valentine cards to the tinsel hearts with mini clothes pins,
also from dollar tree.


Here is the original card next to the enlargement.  The original has silver embossing on it.  I produced the same look on the large version with Elmer's school glue and silver glitter.
I am really stoked about how it turned out.  My local library has a wide format printer and on certain nights you can do free printing.  It's great for making decor for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries.....all sorts of great stuff.  I used it for several prints from my last birthday party.

I don't typically do loads for Valentine's day, such as this much decorating.  I am usually hard core busy planning and making stuff for PB's blow out birthday parties.  This year he told me he didn't want a party, which I translated as he didn't want a big party.  I mean, he's got to have a party!  I have been doing big themed shindigs for him for the past 14 years and I am not ready to hang up the cake sprinkles just yet.  This year is going to be a smaller surprise theme party which meant I could also squeeze in some Valentiney stuff too, hence the decor.

I scoured through the MHICTY archives and came across several more Valentine lovey dovey type stuffs.  To check it out, click on the tag below left "valentines".

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Super cute, Mary! I love that blow up Valentine you made from your moms vintage one. Beautiful!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks, Jenn! And it was free! I thought the glitter turned out looking pretty sharp!