Monday, October 28, 2019

Jan in a Pan...of brownies!


One of my favorite B movies is The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962).  I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it but the gist is a scientist keeps his decapitated fiance's head (Jan) alive in a pan and goes on a search to find her a new body.  Jan apparently isn't into that and just wants to die.

Jan, really, let's look at the advantages of being a head in a pan.
  Fit in a bowling bag and never pay for a seat on the bus.  Save money on clothes and shoes but go wild with hats!   Eat anything you want and never gain weight!


How about keeping a full stock of brownies in your pan with you?!
That could work!  Hence I invented "Jan in a Pan...of Brownies"!
Perfect eats to have on hand while viewing the movie.


"Jan" has been actually in the making for several years.  I got the idea for making her about 3 years ago but it took some time to find all of the pieces (for cheap). I started off by getting, from a thrift store, one of those large Barbie heads that are for kids to style her hair.  I removed her shoulders and attached her head onto an inverted plastic funnel which I taped (hidden by bandage) to the bottom of the pan. I did have a great time giving her a few hairstyles before I wrapped her head in bandage material, which I got on Halloween clearance from Target.  I found the vintage enamel pan at a thrift store about a year later and the beakers are from the flea market found last year.   The whole contraption cost about 10 bucks.  Other variations could be Jan in a pan of red jello or meatloaf casserole but I felt brownies were the best option.

Here she is in black and white movie effect:


Her close-up and comparison to the "real" Jan in a pan from the movie:






The original Jan had a bunch of additional head supports but I am going to forgo these since they would only get in the way of brownie snatching!

I guess you can probably figure that Jan got her wish to die, body-less, at the film's end, but I think she made a hasty decision.  I'd be okay with living in a pan with an endless supply of little powdered sugar doughnuts, not gaining one ounce to my nonexistent hips.  Of course I'd have to have someone feed them to me...but that's what trained monkeys are for!


No comments: