Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Peach-Pecan Shortcake



Peach-Pecan Shortcake brought to you by Swift'ning brand Bland Lard found in 
Better Homes and Gardens September 1948.

(click on image to enlarge recipe)

What caught my attention with this recipe was that there were nuts in the shortcakes. What a great idea!  That's pretty much the only thing I took away from this recipe and went off on my own with it.  I didn't make homemade shortcake dough (used a generic bisquick, the store was sadly out of Jiffy) and I certainly didn't use lard.  I did add brown sugar to the dough but used walnuts instead of pecans.  I also added brown sugar to the peaches.  They turned out pretty good except that I over-baked the shortcakes making them a bit hard.  I placed the leftover ones in the fridge with some extra brown sugar peach juice and they were heaven the next day tasting more like a peach cobbler.



Here is the top of the page for the recipe featuring an artist palette wielding can o' lard!  How did he see so well to paint that great lard filled food masterpiece?

No comments: