Friday, April 24, 2020

Souper Chicken Squares


Here is a dish I put together based after a vintage recipe for "Souper Chicken Squares".

I did take a couple of liberties with the recipe, using what I had on hand.
Firstly, I don't ever keep high calorie creamed soups on hand so these squares are not "souper".  And I used turkey instead of chicken so... squares, yes!

I also didn't saute the celery or onion in butter.  I just added them to the white sauce and let it simmer together.  I didn't use sage, who has that kind of fancy stuff laying around?  I used Tony's creole seasoning as I always do!  The recipe does offer suggestions such as chicken or turkey and cornbread, biscuits, or toast.  Basically this dish is perfect for leftovers and alterations to what ever is in your fridge and pantry.



I started off by baking a pan of cornbread.  I haven't perfected a cornbread recipe yet so use your own recipe or search for one in a vintage cookbook. Next I made a white sauce which I added diced leftover turkey, celery, onions, and peas.  Lastly stack everything together and serve!

It's a fairly tasty meal and filling, maybe not too high on nutrition though.
But it helps to stretch out what you have and looks dandy on a plate!

No comments: