Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Mayonnaise Cake



Oh. It's. On. Mrs. Filbert!
Mayonnaise in a cake!?  It's not such a goofy idea considering that mayo is mostly just oil and eggs, basic cake ingredients.  But will the cake's flavor have the zip and tang of mayo?  Should I frost it in tuna fish?  Garnish it with pickles?
Let's find out!


I did a bit of searching and was able to find the vintage recipe from Mrs. Filbert:



I also found a few modern recipes out in internet land such as by Duke's Mayonnaise (which happened to be the brand of mayo I was using).   I went with Mrs. Filbert's recipe for the most part but used 1 cup of mayo as directed by Duke's. I expect the pink disks seen on the original vintage cake are peppermint patties.  I was going to sub them with pink candy melts but the store was out.  Being the 'use what I've got and make it work' kinda gal that I am, I made a mini batch of marshmallow fondant, tinted it pink, cut it in rounds, and then air dried them till firm.  I also made a papery centerpiece featuring Mrs. Filbert with Duke Mayo as her sidekicks for some extra pizzazz.

So how did it taste?
The cake did not have a mayo flavor what so ever!  It was actually pretty ho hum.  I probably would not make it again unless I was in dire need of cake and was out of eggs and oil. It also could be I am not a big fan of chocolate.  I may have to try this cake again with applesauce as shown in the recipe above.


For fun I made my cake appear to be on the cover styled after the original cook booklet (with PB's photoshop help)!

P.S.: Duke's Mayo has a mug cake recipe that I thought sounded like a fun idea.

5 comments:

Jennilee said...

Good to see you back, Mary!

You've never had mayonnaise cake before? It's a southern staple. But you're right, it's just okay. I like the chocolate cherry cake my granny used to make. A box of chocolate cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, and I think 2 eggs. So good!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Our area was hit by hurricane sandy and I was without power for nearly a week, so just getting back to "normal" along with dealing with hurricane clean up.

Growing up we didn't eat very many sweets. Only on birthdays or at a church pot luck. I wonder now if there could have been a mayo cake at the pot lucks. It would have been a good way to keep the kids away from the cake by telling them it had mayo in it!

Did your granny's cake have oil or water? it sounds really good!

~mary~

Jennilee said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear you were hit by Sandy! Yuck! Glad you are up and running again!

No oil or water. Just the cake mix, pie filling and eggs. It was frosted with chocolate frosting, too. I'll see if I can scrounge up a recipe for you!

Jennilee said...

Here you go, Mary!

1 box chocolate cake mix (or Devil's food)
1 can cherry pie filling
2 eggs

Mix all together and spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Can serve as is, sprinkled with powdered sugar, or, my favorite, with fudge frosting.

1 c powdered sugar
5 Tbsp butter
1/3 c milk
1 c chocolate chips

Melt over medium heat. Add in 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes and pour on warm cake.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee!
Mr. Husband loves Black Forest cake so I'll have to make this one for him!

~mary~