Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas Tree Bread


I made a couple of these Christmas Tree Breads for get togethers this season.
Inspired by this vintage 1958 ad for Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix:



I was surprised to find out they still make Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix so I was able to keep close to the original recipe, brand name and all.  The box made enough for 2 trees FYI.    There is a serving suggestion for a home made apricot filling which I shortcutted and did my own way .  For one I used apricot jam and walnuts and the other I used strawberry jalapeno jelly with walnuts.
Both turned out pretty good!
I iced the trees with a very runny powdered sugar glaze icing along with green candied cherries and maraschino cherries.



Here is a close up of the recipe:

And for fun I found an image of the same box of Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix (NOS) front and back seen in the vintage ad:


The shape of these pastries remind me of things other than trees though.  It really looks like an upside down large intestine or along those same lines a turd pile...kinda like the Mr. Hankey Christmas Shits Cinnamon Rolls I made several years ago.
This would be a great pastry to make to celebrate someone's colonoscopy! 
 

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Looks tasty, Mary!

my house is cuter than yours said...

The apricot one was the best. The dough was really easy to work with too.

~mary~