Thursday, October 08, 2015

Dead Threads


Because I like for me and my man to be the snazziest looking couple at any function I made Hubs and I matching outfits to wear to a few Halloween festivities we are attending this month.

I made myself a dress with a few of my own additions and made the mister a matching tie and tie clip.


Here is a closer view of his tie. The best part is it's a no sew project!
 It is made possible by the use of an iron, Wonder Under and bits of iron-on knee patch material.   To make the tie pattern, I took one he already had and traced around it onto the polka dot fabric leaving a margin of border to fold to the back.  I then cut it out and ironed the edges over.  To cover up the rough edges on the back, I used black iron-on knee patch material down the middle.  I then cut out eye balls from my dress fabric and applied them to the front of the tie with Wonder Under.  The tie clip is hard to see but it is just an existing one he already had that I attached a plastic spider to.


My dress is made from Simplicity pattern 1873.  I got the fabric at Joann....on sale and with a coupon!  I added the collar which is from Simplicity pattern 1609 and drafted up the belt on my own.   I don't have a lot of experience with patterns so I always have difficulty and major frustrations throughout the process.  I told myself  I am never making this pattern again!!!!  But truthfully it did come together ok in the end.  I had to do some altering on the shoulders (the pattern's are too wide) and the bodice (too big).

Let the spooky festivities begin!  We're "dressed to kill"! Ha!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Super cute dress and tie! Amazing!

my house is cuter than yours said...

thanks so much Jenn!

~mary~