Friday, January 19, 2018

Happy National Popcorn Day!

Jiffy Pop, Jiffy Pop, the magic treat!
As much fun to make as it is to eat!

You've already shimmied your puffy popcorn filled aluminum pie pan over some hot coals and had your fill of the exploded kernels...now what?

Make a Jiffy Pop fridge magnet of course!

I found this idea in the book Better Than Homemade and have tweaked it some for this little craft.  


Supplies:
*Metal silver bottle cap
*Wire (a paperclip works great)
*Aluminum foil
*Mini styrofoam balls
 (got mine at dollar tree in the christmas craft section, 
I think they are meant to be used in snow globes)
*A small grape sized dome of styrofoam
*Craft Glues (I used E6000 and White Craft Glue)
*Yellow Water Color Paint 
*Wire Cutters
*Exacto Blade
*Magnet


How-To:
1.  Bend and cut wire to fit inside bottle cap pan resembling a handle.  Glue down with E6000.  Also glue magnet into place on underside of pan.
2. While the handle and magnet are drying, carve a small lump of foam/styrofoam into a dome that will fit inside the pan.  I used a bit of scrap spray insulation foam I had leftover from making the Magic Nose Goblins
3. Cover the dome in white craft glue and dunk into the mini styrofoam balls.  Let dry.
4.  Drape the popcorn ball completely in a tiny piece of aluminum foil, folding the edges under.
5.  Fit and glue the popcorn puff into the pan.
6.  Delicately cut an "X'' across the top of the puff, and fold edges back. 
7.  Dab diluted yellow paint randomly to make the appearance of butter onto the styrofoam balls.
  

A great little old lady craft!  You can also turn it into a fun brooch to wear for next year's national popcorn celebration!

I came across this craft last January when Mr. Husband Sir got me the Better Than Homemade book for Christmas.  I ran out directly to find a store that still might have some of those mini foam balls, unsuccessfully.  I had to wait til the next christmas season to pick some up (for the price I would pay: 1 buck!).   So I apologize that I am telling you all about this adorable craft and you may have to file it away til next season as I did.   In the mean time get yourself a pan of real life sized Jiffy Pop and make it into a hat!

A bonus kernel:

PB's comic book party with a popcorn bar!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Cute pin, Mary! Fun fact: A popped kernel of corn is called a flake and the
protrusions are called wings!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Funny you mentioned that, I was just reading something my son brought home and it called the unpopped kernels in the bottom of the bag "Old Maids"! Ha, ha!