Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Spam Upside Down Pie and Party Sandwich Loaf


Last summer Mr. Husband and I decided to socialize with other adults, something that doesn't happen very often.  We are fairly introverted only getting out in the world to plunder through bins at the thrift stores or Target runs.  However these friends are into the same thing so we made an evening of not going anywhere together.  
We ladies each made a vintage dish to share.  I made Spam Upside Down Pie!


Festive and fun to make!


Check out those awesome radish roses!

Recipe:


I used bacon spam and a horseradish dipping sauce (pre-fab).  It was pretty tasty!

My friend was quite ambitious and turned out this amazing Party Sandwich Loaf! 

Recipe:


It involved three different fillings along with acquiring an unsliced loaf of bread from a bakery all the way across town!

Here are our two dishes hanging out with each other at my friend's house.

We also each made a dessert.  I made individual coconut agar jelly puddings with diced peaches and she made a pear pistachio pudding castle.  What is a pear pistachio pudding castle? you may ask.  It's diced pears mixed in pistachio pudding served in a sand castle bucket mold.  My friend thought the pudding would mold into the shape of the castle but it's not jello...so that didn't really work out as she had planned.  It still was fun to serve the pudding from the castle bucket with the supplied little toy shovel though!

As for activities we watched "Sandy Path", a spoof of the documentary "Grey Gardens". Oh my gosh, it is so hilarious!  It's from the series Documentary Now! staring Fred Armisen and Bill Hader.

image source

When "Little Vivvy" slaps that slice of baloney on to the front of the fridge for the cat sitting on the top to eat, I laughed my pudding all over the place!

We had discussed prior to our get together about us playing some games. We all collect old board games so I was looking forward to seeing what they had...which turned out to be more intellectual adult games like Yahtzee and backgammon.  Luckily I had brought along
The Game of Shopping at the Super Market!

I LOVE this game!  The graphics are adorby and the game is fun!

Each player gets a little shopping cart and has to land on certain spots to get everything on their grocery list before they can "check out" and win the game! Be careful not to land on "Watch Food Demonstrator, Miss a turn."

Sure it's recommended really for people in the single digits... but it's fun!

Once I get the house whipped into shape I'll have to host them at my place where we can play with my Mr. Potato Head dolls and maybe I'll make a Wiener Crown Roast !

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

That game looks adorable! I would love to play!

my house is cuter than yours said...

It is really fun. It now ranks up there with Clue and Life. If you lived near by we would have to get together and play. I can't usually talk PB into it much. If he does play, he drives his cart all crazy and knocks my 'groceries' out of mine.

~mary~

Jenn said...

Hahaha! I have no idea how I stumbled across your blg anymore, but I've been getting quite a kick out of it for the last 20 minutes or so! I'm so happy you found this game and decided to share it with us. Hi-larious. :)