Monday, December 17, 2018

Vintage Christmas Ornament Refresh


Over the years I have been able to collect several vintage Christmas ornaments and boxes.  I like to use the boxes as displays for the ornaments rather than risking hanging them from a tree limb...and crash. 


Here is a past 'serving suggestion'.  I usually place them in the back of the cubbies of the Green Shelf in the living room. I have noticed that most of my boxes are looking a bit ratty, and not in a festive way.  The plastic windows are torn and don't you hate it when the thrift store writes the price right on the front!?

Example (notice ratty filmage and lower right corner church graffiti):

(Before)

As I was packing up Christmas stuff last year I took the time to spruce up my boxes a bit.  I replaced the plastic film with clear cellophane (from dollar tree) and came up with a way to disguise the marker defacement. 


(After)

Well how about those baubles and bells!
I covered the price...with a price tag!  I have noticed that usually these boxes will have an old original price tag tacked on them somewhere.  I just gently peeled it off and then glued it over the offending marker!

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

What a great idea to refresh your boxes, Mary! They look fantastic! I still drool over that shelf :)

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jenn! It's an easy and cheap thing to do to make my junk look less junky!

Monica said...

Another trick we have to try with our old ornament boxes! They look great!