Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Simplicity 1962: Your Prettiest 9 Months



This is my favorite feature in the 1962 Simplicity Spring pattern fashion catalog, called "Your Prettiest 9 months".
It's all maternity wear but so fashionable!





(The dress for this pattern is seen a bit below with blue and green flowers)

👶👶👶



Step one: Place baby in tub.  Step two: Turn my back on baby so everyone can admire my cute outfit!
I love gingham, and more so in this brown version.  I also love the big bow on the front of the lady's hair on the pattern.



👶👶👶



Oh I love this look!  Empire waists look good on all sizes of people.  I even like the colors and print used here.  This is the kind of outfit you can wear even when you aren't prego.  I like the green version on the pattern.



👶👶👶



This is okay.  It's just a house coat but I do like the over-sized pockets and the collar.  The blue outfit on the pattern could have some possibilities.




👶👶👶

Another great empire waist.

👶👶👶



I like this shade of teal shown on the model.
I love the top with the Asian frog closure on the pattern envelope.  Aren't the pants/skirt interesting?!  I guess your big old baby belly just flaps outside the opening.  I know the top would cover it but I would still feel a bit exposed.  Kinda like those beer bellied guys whose t-shirts ride up on them.




👶👶👶



So cute and comfortable looking!
 If you have to wear a tent for a top at least have a snazzy one like this with a flower applique and accent buttons.



👶👶👶



What every pregnant woman needs....a  muu-muu!
 Nothing says "I'm HUGE and I'm not going out in public" like it!



 Just staying home to sew up some baby garb! And eat a couple of tubs of ice cream.




{Here is a vintage 70's layette pattern I made a bib from it in 2014.}

Her sewing machine in the muu-muu picture looks a lot like mine from the 1950's.

I know that comfort always outvotes fashion when you are as big as an elephant and need help putting on your shoes because you can't get to your feet (feet that have swelled up 3 shoe sizes even).  I wore my fair share of stretchy sweat pants and over-sized men's t-shirts around the house. But for public viewing I dressed as snazzy as one who can only waddle down a runway can.  I would have certainly loved to have had some of these outfits though!

All pattern envelope source images came from various sites including: vintagepatterns.wikiaebay, and etsy

No comments: