Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Cutting Edge Heart and Dagger Sweater


For some "Valoween" apparel, I felt a dripping bloody heart would be most appropriate! I was inspired by a vintage sweater featured in a Life Magazine 1947 fashion photo spread.
I decided to also do my own little photo shot to show off my work, trying to mimic some of the poses!

💘 💘 💘

This is the sweater that I took inspiration from when making my own:

{Photography by Nina Leen for Life Magazine 1947}

Here is my mimicked pose:


My lips are silently saying "Don't make me cut a b*tch." 

 ðŸ’˜ 💘 💘

Original:
{Photography by Nina Leen for Life Magazine 1947}



Me:

"People seem to avoid my piercing aura."

💘 💘 💘

Original:
{Photography by Nina Leen for Life Magazine 1947}

Me:

"I have a stabbing feeling it's because I am sharply dressed and cutting edge."

💘 💘 💘

Original:
{Photography by Nina Leen for Life Magazine 1947}

Me:

"I hope you have gotten the point and you know what is at stake."

When it's not Valentine's Day, I think I will start my own girl gang with all of us sporting these outfits.  We'll go on crime sprees knocking over letter opener manufacturing factories and Spray and Wash chemical plants!

{image source} Click on image for enlargement

Speaking of the need for a stain stick, I happened to find a color image of this sweater (with a white background and the dagger in a different direction, possibly a reverse negative) featuring Esther Williams on the cover of Movieland Magazine February 1947.


In Drip-O-Vision!

To construct my sweater I started off by buying a similar one from a thrift.  I then eyeballed the original design and freehand cut it from craft felt.  Next I sewed on a few scrap sequins using silver thread to the sword hilt.  Lastly I hand sewed everything to the sweater.  The blood drops on the skirt are made from red felt that I hot glued to some pin backings.  This way I can remove them after Valentine's day and wear my skirt in regular mode.

Other non-prison inducing ways to wear this outfit would be on a first date that you don't want a second.  Or to meet future in-laws to keep them far in the future.  Or to a slasher romance film.  Or to a cardiac surgery appointment.  Or to a wedding.  Or to Valentine's Dinner with Mr. Husband at an organ meat restaurant!

💘 💘 💘

2 comments:

Rob and Monica said...

I just love that sweater and skirt!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks!
It wound up being really cold on Valentine's Day so I wasn't able to wear it out on the town this year. I am on the look out for a grey cardigan sweater to wear with the ensemble for next year, just in case it's chilly again!

~mary~