Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cranberry Coconut Holidainty


I love collecting old cook booklets, especially the Pillsbury Grand National bake off contest ones.
I like baking something that is worth thousands of dollars!
  {See the $25,000 Cake here.}
I have not made the 1953 cover winner ("My Inspiration" Cake) just yet.  But for the holidays, I did make Senior Winner, Mrs. Willard Aiken of Des Moines, Iowa's 
Cranberry Coconut Holidainty dessert!
I liked the idea of it being an "easy top-of-stove" dessert and it had a cute name...Holidanity.  I also liked that it is a sweet-ish dumpling and made with coconut!
It turned out tasting pretty good.  PB, who is generally a picky eater, ate 4 servings of it! 
I think that the dumplings were a bit dry though, I have been thinking of trying out using cake mix, maybe making coconut cupcakes and serving the cranberry sauce over the top...


Click on the image above for the recipe and you have the added bonus of "Black-Bottom Refrigerator Dessert" included on the next page!

I have been wanting to find vintage recipes to make that can become my family's favorites and "asked for" holiday traditions.  I think with a few tweaks this could be one! 

I LOVE coconut.  For more vintage recipes, several with coconut, check out the "Recipes" area located at the top right hand of this site.

And speaking of coconut...here is a clue as to what our christmas tree theme is this year:

Made up your mind yet?

I'll take chocolate.
With coconut?

I don't like coconut.
You don't like coconut?

Say, brainless, don't you know 
where coconuts come from?
Look it here...
from Tahiti, Fiji Islands, the Coral Sea!

2 comments:

Sierra Sue said...

Great Site!!
I think that is Art Linkletter doing a finger taste on the magazine.
Lordy, just realized how !&%$
old I realy am !!
Don't know who he is? email me!!
Sierra sue

my house is cuter than yours said...

oh I surely know who he is!
~mary~