Saturday, February 17, 2018

GE M-47


The GE M-47

Sounds like some kind of heavy duty machine gun artillery.  But it's just the official name for this vintage hand mixer from General Electric.  I picked it up from an estate sale for 6 bucks.  Why would I need another mixer when I have a lovely Juice joggling, Sunbeam Mix Master stand mixer?

Because...Because...my beloved 1951 Mix Master is "sick".  It happened during that marathon baking I did making 6 different Christmas cookies.  Now when plugged in, even in the ''Off'' position, it is "On" and runs only at max speed.  I have cried over this.  I love that mixer.  I found an appliance repair shop in town that says they will take a look at it (and not for free) but I am not ready to let it leave the house, and have the guy tell me there's no hope.  I am also scared that in normal fashion, usually when I take on something that involves another party actually doing their job properly it goes to hell and lingers.   Either the guy will lose the beaters, or the entire machine, or just take my mixer and money and close up shop causing the authorities to then get involved.  And yes, I generally check reviews and have friends recommend people for the jobs even. This stuff happens to me, all of the time....all the time.  Around the same time my mixer went out I was also dealing with the eyeglass store breaking my pair of vintage frames and then losing them, then finding them...to discover that the outside lab broke them because they tried to shove too big of lens into them.... 


So, I picked up this mixer to get me through until I can take my Mixer to the doctor.  I have used it once already, and it is no comparison.  It is not as good as my stand mixer and cumbersome having only one hand free.  Also the beater eject button is right where my thumb goes...that's going to happen one day.

It is a dandy looking machine though!

1 comment:

Aldo said...

Brilliant design, lots of jet fighter in those shapes. Hope it is repairable.