Thursday, August 29, 2019

Frosty Apple Bites


With it being 'Back to School' season I felt the need to bake something applely.  I found a fairly simple recipe in my 1961 Pillsbury's 13th Grand National Bake Off cook booklet called "Frosty Apple Bites" by junior winner Jerry Herbert of Columbus, Ohio.

(click on image to enlarge)

I did not put the chocolate chips in them because that just didn't seem right.  Chocolate and apples...I'll pass.  Raisins would work though.  These cookie are kinda bland looking but really are delicious cakey treats!
I added some chopped up cashews to the tops for some pizzazz!  Some monochrome pizzazz.

On the first day of school I do a tablescape for PB
(See School House Rocks First Day for a sample) to greet him when he gets up in the morning.  It involves my vintage Fisher Price school playset pieces (just got the bus over the summer!) and other vintage learning fun type stuff.  Since he is starting his second year of high school I figured he would just ignore my efforts so I didn't do it.  I was kinda pleased to hear him ask about it that morning when the table was still set in regular mode.  So I whipped it together for when he came home from school along with having these cookies.  Does anyone else out there mom-fantasize about when your kidlette gets home from school and they will be so happy to see you and appreciate a nice plate of cookies waiting for them.  Best mom ever! I see it all the time in commercials!  Well for me that just doesn't happen, especially not this year.  PB had a horrible first day, due to the bus being 40 minutes late in the morning and then not even showing up in the afternoon.  I had to go pick him up from school in the afternoon which after him waiting awhile and then my travel time to his school, he didn't get home until 2 hours after school was over.  His school just moved into a new building and location so traffic had become grid locked during the evening pick up/ release.  He was in an awful mood (can't blame him) and didn't even eat one cookie...
Hopefully his second day will be better and the cookies can be part of an after school 'do over'.

Here are a few more apple featured recipes from the MHiCTY archives:

Deep Dish Apple Pie with Candied Crust
Apple Crisp
Apple Pie Bars
Applesauce Cake
He-man Apple Pie

and one recipe that is mock apple!:
Appless Pie


2 comments:

Rob and Monica said...

Those cookies look great! I see you mentioned apple crisp. When I was in elementary school, it was served as dessert in the cafeteria once a week. For some reason, it wasn't all that popular and a bunch of my classmates would give me their apple crisp. I would eat about ten at a sitting! (Rob)

my house is cuter than yours said...

yum! I made my 'Deep Dish Apple Pie with candied crust" for my mom a while back and she said it tasted just like a dessert they were served in elementary school..hmmm...maybe there is a connection!
~mary~