Monday, June 26, 2023

Sausage Corn Bread Supper

 

Whenever I try to make vintage savory dishes they rarely turn out appealing.  Not appealing to look at and certainly not appealing to eat.  I had high hopes of reproducing this amazing looking 'Sausage Corn Bread Supper' because the ingredients were simple and their image of the finished dish looked real and gorgeous.

But back in the real-real world it turned out as a bland eyesore.

Let's pick this thing apart, and I mean that literally.  I had to pick off the cornbread that had baked over the top of all the decorative sausage links.  We had to pick off the apple rings because they were bland chewy disks.
And the recipe name says "Supper" right?  Mr. Husband asks as he sees his dinner plate "Is this it? This is the entire meal?"  
Reality started to set in with me as I realized there are no vegetables here.  This isn't even a side dish.  It's a bread with some bonus fatty sausage involved.
PB completely refused to eat it...but that is always to be expected.  


This dish isn't an absolute from oven to garbage can kinda thing though.  Cornbread with sausage is damn tasty.  I  home made some apple sauce as the recipe recommended and that was pretty good when incorporated with the cornbread.   


Just leave off the apple disks and eat with your eyes closed.

No comments: