Friday, October 20, 2023

Witch Kneehugger~ Boo It Yourself!


Ending out this week of Halloween crafts is my favorite!
I made a vintage inspired knee hugger witch from a 1.25 Tree ghoul and fabric from my scraps bin!

Here she is with her dangly legs down so you can see her pretty skirt!



I am not very good at doing tutorials.  Whenever I am crafting I just do it and figure it out as I go.  I like it that way.  Stopping to take photos and all that is a hinderance and causes my crafting momentum to stall.  But I made myself do a few process photos with this because I knew I would not be able to explain how I did it.  I also really appreciate when others do it so I am taking my turn here.

So, first photo is what the witch ghoul looks like from 1.25 Tree all boring like:


Here she is stripped and I painted some features with black paint:

Next I covered the arms in some old long sleeve t-shirt material from when PB was probably 5 years old.  I rolled it on the arms and hot glued it:

For her body I again used some scrap material from a long sleeve tee, using the cuff as a turtle neck:

For the long legs I repurposed the cheap black material from her shroud.  I folded it over, rolled it and hot glued into place:

Next I covered the legs by hot gluing old t-shirt material in place, sewed it to the body and stuffed that.
I cut arm holes below the turtle neck and put the arms through.

At this point this is what you have:


I think if you wanted to be real evil you should stop there.  Make about ten of these menacing looking gremlins and put them out this holiday season in lieu of the Elf on the Shelf.  Tell the kids Santa has had it with being forgiving of their bad behavior and has sent his 'Thump your skull' posse instead.

Or you can continue with turning her into a cutie witch!


To finish her out I cut some scraps of Halloween fabric to make her cape, skirt, and hat.  I hot glued some parts and sewed some.  Embellish with rick rack, ribbon, and plastic spiders.  I also finished out her eyes with a dab of white paint.

Other things I did but didn't make it as a photo were I did shortened the arms as they were too long.  I also had to shove pipe cleaners up the legs to give them more structure.  If you make one you could roll the pipe cleaners in with the legs or use something firmer for the legs.  Another thing to remember to do is add back a replacement ziptie at the neck for stability or she'll have her head always falling back like she just heard a great joke. 

I am pretty happy with how she turned out.  I have wanted to try making my own Halloween knee-hugger for quite sometime just didn't know what to use for the noggin until I came across the witch ghoul at 1.25 Tree.  She has the perfect vintage-inspired type face!

No comments: