Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Catacomb Crumble Coffin Cake

 


For own Halloween Deadsert I made us Catacomb Crumble Coffin Cake based after a recipe/idea from 
master macabre culinary cook Ghoul at Heart.


Mine that your see is not quite her recipe.  The original calls for making these adorable skulls that are baked onto the base bread/cake/pie along with a streusel crumble.  It's comprised of brown sugar, flour, and butter.  I followed the exact recipe for the skulls, froze them, and baked at 350 degrees...and just as I was kinda thinking would happen....all of it melted and disintegrated right into the cake, like it was swallowed up by a black hole.
So, to get the look of the dessert, after the cake was baked and cooled, I used a fork and crumbled up the top of the cake and then nested the extra unbaked skulls I had formed within the "crumble".  I think there's something about not eating raw flour or you'll go to hell so I guess the skulls are just for looks on my cake.  I'm sure I did something wrong to cause the skulls to decompose because Ghoul at Heart is a far better baker than I.  I'll have to 'test kitchen' this some more to get it right.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

It looks adorable, Mary! Happy Halloween!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee!

Happy Halloween to you as well!
~mary~