Thursday, April 27, 2006

the hanks

This most amazing band played my little town last weekend. I am just completely awestruck by their music, their performance and their lyrics...

*************************************
Once Again

Your attitude's brand new, it seems that you're back into me again,
though I'm having trouble even standing here being your friend.
Am I just supposed to wipe clean all the messes of our past,
and forget the year I gave you that you didn't let last?

(chorus:)
You've done it, once again.
Foolishly, I've fallen.
Will there ever be peace for a romantic like me?
I'll wait by the phone and see.

The passion is still there but so are all the stupid little things,
we let get between us, along with all the heartache that they bring.
My pulse quickens as I touch you for the first time in so long,
and my heart's too married to my head to know if this is wrong.

(chorus)
(bridge:)
Think out for hours each word that we say.
If I come back will you even stay?
Should I run with your amorous play,
or should I run away?

(final chorus:)

You've done it once again.
Foolishly, I've fallen,
Will there ever be hope for a girl like you with me?
I'll give up my heart to see.

Sometimes

"Do I deserve this?" I ask myself, nervously looking deep into your eyes. You smile back sadly, we're ending so badly, though it's darkly funny, I guess. Hopelessly I beg away, though you don't care what I say. So I say we won't be "just friends" and I walk away, I walk away.

And sometimes I stop and stare, though I know it's much better if I just don't care. Sometimes you stare back so long, why don't you just move, not keep me holding on?

God how I miss you now that I can't kiss you and ask if you've had a good day. My dreams are so lonely, if we could've only managed to not throw it away. But maybe it's better this way, a thought you quietly conveyed. As all my worst fears came true, and night suddenly shrouded the day.

And sometimes I stop and stare, though I know it's much better if I just don't care. Sometimes you stare back so long, why don't you just move, not keep me holding on?

Your kindness is awfully cruel, when it just keeps me in love with you like a fool. And seeing you every day just serves to keep me here, pining away. Your emotions seem to be at odds with all of the things you told me. And when you smile my way I almost expect you to say...

...that sometimes I stop and stare, though I know it's much better if I just don't care. Sometimes you stare back so long, why don't you just move, not keep me holding on?
**************************

It's safe to say that I have become quite addicted to listening to their album, and I'm not exaggerating here...about 10 times a day. For me, the tone and mood of the music in a song speaks to me, I view the vocals as just another instrument most of the time. Their music as a whole pulls me in and just grabs me. 'Bruised' and 'luggage vs. baggage' are two such songs that no matter what the lyrics are, the vocals are so beautifully delivered that they intertwine with the music in such a way that have a severe hold on my heart. In 'luggage vs. baggage' there is a point at 3:18 that has to be the most lovely and beautiful musical piece my ears have ever heard. Of course, they have lovely lyrics also as it just makes this love affair of mine even more strong.
I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was to watch them perform.....They only performed about 7 songs but for that short time I was transfixed and any and all worries I had on my mind left briefly.
I don't get into doing the meme's so instead I offer this post as a small insight into my life other than my normal serving of vintage babblings.

just added this photo from their gallery...is it not lovely?

3 comments:

woof nanny said...

Do they have a CD? I can see if I can review them. Did you know I write CD reviews online?

my house is cuter than yours said...

FYI to all... the post title is a link to their site.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
This is Josh from the Hanks. Stumbled across your site on google, and just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. It's nice to hear people who really appreciate what we're doing--definitely fuel to keep doing it! It's also a big help when people are out there spreading the word, so thanks a lot!

best,
josh