Friday, April 07, 2006

Scrap Crafty~Nylon Novelties

First off, I just want to say that the word 'novelties' always makes me laugh...people, that is just a funny word..like when used in terms like "ice cream novelties" or "adult novelties"...okay, maybe it's just me... back to our story...

I bought this booklet called 'Nylon Net Novelties...Handicrafts For Fun' 1965 from a thrift store years ago. I just love this kind of dorky stuff. Case in point. It contains How To's on novelties (ha ha ha ha!!!! novelties!) to make for gifts or as party decorations. Some are really cute and some are...well... down right creepy...take for instance this jolly Net Satan...I mean, Santa..
yeah...A great way to scare the kids into being nice all year round. But on the cute side of it is this baby shower bassinet center piece...awwwww! What a cute little dolly!
Okay, now on to the scrap crafty part of this. For Pumkinbutt's two baby showers (and then used later as a decoration in his room) i made the bassinet seen below.

I didn't want to know if I was having a boy or girl so I used both blue and pink netting and flowers. I also didn't really follow the instructions in the book because they thought you could glue plastic netting to a plastic bed with regular white glue...that just sounds like failure and frustration waiting to happen.

Above is the behind the scenes look at it. The scrap craft part about it is that the bassinet base is made from a gallon bleach bottle with the handle part cut away and the bottle opening part facing toward the back of the bassinet. I stapled the netting to the side of the bottle and hot glued on the flowers and bows. The canopy part is just a loop of wire attached to the bottom of the bottle with clear packaging tape and then covered with more netting, flowers and bows. I didn't count on this decoration being around for as long as it has but I thought it was just soo cute. I also have a feeling that very soon Pumkinbutt's cute little nursery is going to be having a BOY transformation...so I will be posting some before pictures in the next couple of months, depending on when he does finally get that pudgy little leg all the way over the crib rails.

9 comments:

Shanna said...

hey, do you ever read Swapatorium? they're looking for someone to make a quirky vintage crafts and things each month...
(http://swapatorium.blogspot.com/2006/04/craft-werk.html) You would be perfect!

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Who'da thunk that a bleach bottle and netting could be so darn cute?! You really went to town with that idea errrr...."novelty" :)

Did you make Tillie the Turtle too?

The Satan/Santa one does look kind of strange, at first glance for some reason the face looks like a chicken with a beak...LOL

Gina said...

What a interesting book - and you can make anything look good! Yours looks better than those in the book photo, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Briiliant, in that flammable kind of way...

Jennifer W. said...

Love it!

Now I know for sure we're kindred souls - making stuff for your own shower - that's totally something I would do!

majamom said...

too retro adorable. I was born in 1962 and wonder if somthing like that sat on the table at my mums shower for me =/ your re-make is fab!

Shell said...

Ok, some of the objects in that book look totally disturbing, and I was wondering where you were going with this post until I saw your own creation. Yours looks great! I mean, how can you turn something so hideous into something so cute? It's just genious! Hehe. Fun post.

angela said...

that santa/satan is so funny!

nice work on your rendition of the baby shower decorations

Anonymous said...

ooh! So cute...what a wonderful NOVELTY! LOL! :D very very creative indeed.