Saturday, April 29, 2006

Merry Cherry Scary....A make ahead delight!

As promised, here are the 'leftovers' from yesterday's Swapatorium post:

I made this lovely and exciting salad, Merry Cherry Salad, which can double as dessert as Household Magazine boldly claims. Really, though, is it not beautiful? With the bright red cherries and ultra white marshmallows peaking through it's pale pink wedges of frozen perfection?
Household magazine June 1957

As you can see from my attempt below...Things can go horribly wrong. This photograph is not touched up... it turned that horrendous shade of pink all on its own. I followed the recipe and no perfect cherry and marshmallow contrast was to be had...it turned out looking more like a hot pink congealed technicolor yawn*. Now saying that, I didn't even try one bite of it. I did however subject my victims to this luscious treat. Poor souls, they are really too supportive. Not only did they report that it tasted great but thought it was a beautiful presentation as well.

Oh, and those furry white things are known as Coconut Snowballs and are quite a delicacy and highly recommended.

****************************************************
The Recipes
(click on image for larger viewing)


(the recipe forgot to mention what to do with the marshmallows..
so I just tossed them in the mixture right before freezing)


********************************************************

Enjoy if you so desire!


not included in the swapoturium post:

* "to do the techicolor yawn, to blow chow, to summon the earl...."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an idea...I think the marshmallows should have been melted and mixed in with the rest of the recipe. That way the red would most probably turned more pink with the white from the marshmallows mixed in. What do you think???

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Condolences to the fam, I don't know what they were thinking back in the 50's. However, fantastic job on the recreation, I wonder why this recipe never made it through the ages? ;)

Cynthia F said...

heehee! i saw this and remembered my gran's dessert she used to make which was almost exactly the same ingredients except hers was a lovely shade of mint green... eek!
i love seeing your recipes all made up- so cool!!

Anonymous said...

To ride the porcelain bus.....

my house is cuter than yours said...

~nicole~ "Zis vill zimplify evrysing!" Thank you!!!

Soul Searching said...

i'm ashamed to admit it actually looks quite yummy. Then again i'll eat anything with marshmallows or jello.

Any said...

There's just something about technicolor food that acts like a tractor beam for my mouth...

This reminds me, just a bit, of a "dessert" that was served at my hometown church potluck lunches. Some little old lady used to bring canned pear halves, each filled with a dollop of mayo and garnished with a sprinkling of finely shredded cheddar and a maraschino cherry half. The first time I ate one, I thought that the mayo was going to be whipped cream--nasty surprise (I don't know how I rationalized the cheese). After the initial shock, I was inexplicably hooked, however. I think I was the only one eating those things...

Wandered over from Swapatorium. Think I'll be sticking around!

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog! And you're a doll. The recipes you make are awesome. We collect similar stuff, and I'm totally enamoured by the whole 40s/50s housewife thing, too.

Jennifer W. said...

I don't know how I missed this post - Bloglines has been sporadic with some blogs lately. Anyway, congrats on your Swapatorium debut, and for making a technicolor dream come true!

Gina said...

Looks yummy!