Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Coconut Strawberry Shortcakes!

Darlings! I bring you the best Strawberry Shortcake EVER! Don't settle for those little spongy yellow cake things ever again! Sure, they are great childhood memories but these shortcakes are so yummy they'll help you forget the waxy residue the old school ones left in your mouth, or was that just me? Then when you factor in the loveliness that is coconut....heavenly!

Better Homes and Gardens May 1962


Really, this is the best strawberry shortcake I have ever had. It's the only strawberry shortcake I have ever made but still....




**********************************************
RECIPE

Strawberry Coconut Shortcakes

2 cups JIFFY Baking Mix
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted shortening
1/2 cup milk
shredded coconut (I used a bit more than 1/4 bag)

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine above ingredients, mix into a soft dough. Turn onto surface dusted with baking mix and knead quickly 20 times. Pat or roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 3 inch circles. Bake on ungreased baking sheet 8-10 minutes. Spoon sweetened fruit on top and between shortcakes. Serve with whipped cream mixed with shredded coconut. Makes 6 shortcakes.

*************************************

I love Jiffy products...part of it is the aesthetics of their packaging and the fact the have been around since 1930. I will buy foods just because the packaging looks old. I also collect the real deal old food boxes and packaging too. I have a shelf in my kitchen that looks like a mini 1940's-50's pantry! Please tell me I'm not the only one out there that loves Rose-Dale fruit cans....

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My husband has bought many Manischewitz kosher food products before just to have that orange box floating around the house. We're not kosher. We're not even Jewish.

Miss Bliss said...

We just picked a ton, and I mean a ton of strawberries. I have already made jam and sauce and frozen whole and muffins and you get my point, something strawberry and coconut and different! Fantastic, I will definately try it. By the way, I love the baking powder tins. And they keep coming out with new-- old ones, is that confusing? And I just keep buying them. I am up to my elbows in baking powder and I bake a lot!

majamom said...

O.K.~ now i have to sit through 4 hrs of training tonight thinking about this cake!

Bountiful ~Brown ~Barters!

You MUST come bye *

http://thriftbarterbuy.blogspot.com/

xo~ mb

Saucy said...

Could you please post photos of that box collection?

Anonymous said...

Your presentation is amazing. I think I will try out this recipe this weekend after visiting the farmer's market. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

oooooo! i am ALL over this one! i love strawberries sooo much. yum!!!! i so wish i had this recipe last mot when the "u-pick" strawberries were going on!

Miss RM said...

Oh yes, you definitely must post a photo of the 40's/50's mini pantry!

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Never had the privilege of having tried srawberry shortcake before. When I was a kid I just used to think it was a pink cake with pink icing and a delightful artificial twee strawberry tang. Thankfully, you have made the real thing look even better than my hyper-pink imaginings.

Shanna said...

mmmm...that looks yummy! there's berry stand everywhere in oregon right now! i've gotta try this!

elizabeth said...

oh how i wish i could have a bite.

looks devine :)

Anonymous said...

Do you know Mr. Toast? See http://mistertoast.blogspot.com/ and the various other mr. Toast sites including http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/page4.html. There you'll see more old food packaging (fabulous artwork!) and other good things. Enjoy!

From Cathy in New Jersey (my house isn't as cute as I'd like it to be. . .)