Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easter Bunny Banquet

      

   This jello mold is called "Easter Bunny Banquet" per Kroger circa 1950s.
I certainly wouldn't call a jello mold a "banquet".  Maybe if you are the same ratio size of the marshmallow bunny to a big mound of jello.  That would be like eating a jello mold the size of a hot tub!


Kroger is fairly vague with instructions for Easter Bunny Banquet but I guess they figured it's jello how hard is that to mess up? Here is the How to:
" Make pink fluffy gelatin with Kroger Strawberry Gelatin Dessert. When your strawberry gelatin is partially set, fold in drained fruits, nuts, and whipped cream."

They are steadfast about the use of their fine flavored gelatin as the primary ingredient.  
"Kroger Gelatin Desserts have true fresh-fruit flavor...set faster, stay firm longer.  Always use Kroger Gelatin dessert to insure perfect results every time." 

Of course the only reason to make this is to fashion some cute marshmallow bunnies!  
"Fashion snow white bunnies out of Kroger Marshmallows.  Put them together with dampened toothpicks.  Cut pink ears from stiff paper.  Draw face on top marshmallow."

I went with using a competitors store brand cranberry gelatin dessert along with generic marshmallows.  I guessed those orange shiny slugs around the base of the dessert were peaches...but I am not so sure. When I compare my finished dessert to the original something looks off.  I did use generic canned peaches, maybe they should have been Kroger.  Also the bumpy white topping on the original could be Kroger cottage cheese.  I went with a dollop of off-brand cool whip.

I am not big into Easter and this is the best I did this year, a boring highly generic jello mold. A jello mold that if the bunny wasn't there it wouldn't be thought of as Easter related at all.  It could work for a Breast Cancer awareness dish even.  So really all my Easter effort this year is two large marshmallows and some scrap pink construction paper.
I even let it get away that it's April Fools Day!

Here are some sparse past Easter posts with a bit more hop to them:

No comments: