Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Jack's 1 Cent Cookies



We picked this very adorable Jack's One Cent Cookies container up from an antique mall.  I was in love with it and didn't mind the 25 bucks price tag too much since I saw one listed on ebay for 90 bucks (with shipping)!

The lid and bottom are metal and the side is plastic.  It's really big, measuring 12 inches tall and 10.5 inches diameter...holding a whooping 5 bucks in one cent cookies I bet!

"Ingredients:  Flour, Sugar, Shortening, non-fat milk solids, invert syrup, eggs, salt, leavening, spices, artificial flavoring, certified color."

Certified color? I don't know what that means, but since these cookie have "spices" I'll buy a dime's worth!

"Chocolate Cookies: Cocoa added.  Coconut Cookies:  Coconut added.  Oatmeal cookies:  Oatmeal added."

Makes sense.

"Property of Jack's Cookie Co.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Charlotte, North Carolina
Greenville, Mississippi
Mobile, Alabama
Tampa, Florida"

All cities from my side of the tracks!


The day before we found this Jack's cookie container a photo of one popped up on our screen saver from a trip we took to the Naval Air Museum which has a little indoor street area representing a small town during WWII.  One spot on the 'street' is a general store that has a Jack's Cookie Jar on the counter (see above for serving suggestion).  So the photo popped up and I thought how much I would love to have one of those containers and lo and behold!  I have got to post some photos from that museum because I LOVE the 1940s street area.  I could live there!  Don't you just love all the vintage packaging in the background of the store seen above?!  That's only a small bit of it! And! There's a little house too...With A Kitchen!!

Bonus feature!
I came across a scanned brochure on the nets from Jack's Cookie Company which was found in the trash! 


See this site for the rest of the pages, a few photos, and a bunch of receipts of ingredients.

Now I know what some of those "Spices" and "Certified Color" are!  
Ammonia and Egg Color!

PS:  Why in the heck is the "cent sign" not on keyboards!?

6 comments:

Jennilee said...

That's so neat, Mary! I love it!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jenn! The canister is on top of my fridge and constantly makes me want some 'Mystifying Oracles of Butter Rings' cookies!

http://myhouseiscuterthanyours.blogspot.com/2015/10/mystifying-oracles-of-butter-rings.html

Leslie said...

Is there any chance you’d be willing to sell it? I’ve been looking for one for my husband. His late father used to work for the company.

my house is cuter than yours said...

No, sorry Leslie. Mr. Husband and I are quite fond of it. Ebay has one listed right now for $120. Snap that one up!

~mary~

Leslie L said...

Leslie, I have one that is older-it’s 2 for a cent. Great condition. Willing to ship at your cost if you are not in the Raleigh area. I don’t know how to send you a picture, but it’s in great shape for it being older than the 1 cent cookies.

Leslie L said...

This is for Leslie…I have an older one-it’s 2 for a cent. Great shape, just not sure how to send a picture.