Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Scrap crafty~Marshmallow Creatures

I love Scrap Craft! It is so great for holiday and party decorating when you're on a budget! It's also great to keep the little hands around the house busy!
Shown above are "Marshmallow Creatures". These would be really fun for a child's Halloween party. This idea is from the "pack-O-fun" magazine, Oct. 1971. "pack-O-fun" is still made today and I have seen it for sale at Hobby Lobby. Here are the instructions:
*****************************************************************
"Push marshmallow heads on top of soda straws, about 3" long. Draw on features with a toothpick dipped in frosting, or use frosting directly from a tube. Use frosting for gluing. The devil's horns are halves of candy corn; the witch's hat is the top of a paper cone. Use cone-shaped paper drinking cups for the bodies of the creature, or you can make a cone from a 4" square of fairly stiff paper. Cut the tip of of the cone and insert the soda straw down through it. For fancy, dressed-up creatures, make full crepe paper skirts. To make each skirt, take a strip of colorful crepe paper about 3" wide. Gather along one edge and secure it around the soda straw body with a rubber band or string. From paper, cut out small ovals for the creatures' arms. Cut long, jagged ovals for the owl's wings. Glue all in place."
*******************************************************************
If you were like me... I had no idea what kind of creature that was on the bottom right. Oh, it's an Owl!? I'm glad they cleared that up! I also don't think that toothpick dipped in icing is such a good idea. I think using different shaped candies and cereals would be a better idea.
I am thinking about doing a post every Wed. called "Scrap Crafty". If anyone ever makes any of my ideas email me a pic and I'll put it up along with the corresponding post!

No comments: