Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Cake Casserole

"Happy new way to bake your favorite Betty Crocker Cake Mixes!"

A Cake Casserole recipe from 1959?!  You better believe I'll try that! 


This recipe is kinda fun because it makes use of a couple of convenience foods (cake mix and canned fruit) but has the twist of home made-ish with the addition of a stove top sauce.

I didn't completely go by the recipe. I just have to mix it up a bit somehow.  Generally that means I'll be substituting key ingredients with what ever I happen to have on hand.  This then results in my changing the entire intention of the dish. Oh well, I see it as a possible improvement!  I used a can of tropical fruit instead of fruit cocktail.  That is why you see chunks of stuff that looks like sweet potatoes, it's really papaya, pineapple, and passion fruit.  I also used coconut milk in place of the water and threw some shredded coconut in the cake batter.  And I used a french vanilla cake mix instead of a yellow cake mix...  And I added a few dashes of cinnamon to the fruit sauce... The recipe is really just a serving suggestion in my mind.

"Serve your creation hot and heavenly, right from the oven, in your prettiest casserole.  
Someone's going to love you for this!"

It turned out tasting pretty good even if it looks more like a vegetable stew casserole pot pie kinda thing.  My version would be perfect to serve as an April Fool's meal as 'dinner'.   See if the fam loves you for that!


Notice that the recipe only uses 1 cup of cake batter.  Stay tuned to see what I did with the rest of it! 

****************

Recipe:

Place drained 16-oz. can of fruit salad in 1 1/2-quart casserole. Make sauce: combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tbsp. cornstarch. Slowly add juice from fruit plus water to make 1 cup and boil 1 minute, stirring. Add 2 tbsp. butter and 1 tsp. nutmeg. Pour sauce over fruit. Top with one cup prepared yellow cake mix batter. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 350˚.

Bake rest of batter in 9" square pan 30 to 35 minutes.
*********************

Recipe found here

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Ha! The very first thing I thought of when I saw this was April Fool's! It is going straight into my recipe box for next year! Plus, it looks pretty tasty :)

my house is cuter than yours said...

I wonder if you add some darker fruit like plums/prunes and it would look like beef....hmmm...maybe.