Monday, June 06, 2016

Peach Kringle


I have mentioned a time or ten that I love old food packaging.  I really like ones for companies that have been around for a while and have really never changed the look of their labels.
These gems are hardly ever carried in 'regular' grocery stores.  They are found in small local stores or chain stores that carry cheaper products...all places I love to frequent!
My most recent find was just a couple of weeks ago at Big Lots.

Early Garden Brand "Tasty Pieces" Yellow Freestone Peaches!

Look at this can!  I love this can!

Because I needed those cans I have been busy making several peach desserts.
Yes, they are irregular pieces but they are still tasty pieces!

One dessert I made was "Peach Kringle".  Short n' Sweet - a real peach treat!
(Recipe above)


As my usual MO I didn't completely follow the recipe.  I decided to use prefab biscuits in the bust-open-and-scare-you-even-though-you-know-it's-coming tube can packaging. I also resisted using Del Monte brand peaches, in favor of cute can ones.  I found this dessert to be a little dry so I used the reserved peach juice and made a glaze which I spooned over the top along with serving it with vanilla ice cream.

Recipe for peach glaze:
1/2 cup sugar * 2 tbsp cornstarch * 1/4 tsp salt * 3/4 cup peach juice * 1 tbsp butter  
Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in peach juice. Bring to boil over direct heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool thoroughly.

I also made a Peach Crisp using this recipe, just substituting peaches for apples and added vanilla ice cream.  It turned out tasty due to the use of the tasty pieces.

I quickly skimmed through past posts on MHICTY and found a few that feature neat old or old looking packaging:

Crafts:
Jiffy Box Memo Pad
TV Dinner Magnet
Easy Bake Oven Mini Mix Boxes

Items:
butter boxes and pop
Boyer Candies
Grocery Shopping Retro
Grocery Shopping Retro II
Packaging Love
Estate Sale Finds
My collection 2006

I have more of these kinda vintage cans, boxes, jars, labels....around the house but I am now realizing that I haven't photographed/posted about them! Will have to add that to the To-Do-Eventually List.

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

That is a cute can, Mary! I will have to see if my Big Lots has any! Too bad my husband doesn't like peaches...I'll just have to eat them straight from the can!

my house is cuter than yours said...

He doesn't like peaches!? Well, more for you then! Ha!
Big Lots also has Argo brand peas in a can right now that look neat too!
~mary~

Jennilee said...

Actually, he's really not big on most fruit. He likes apples and occasional watermelon. *shrug* More for me! ha!