Saturday, December 23, 2017

Santa Yule Log from Blamo!


What rolls down stairs,  alone or in pairs, and over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack?  And fits on your back?

It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log! It's Log!
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood!
It's Log! It's Log!
It's better than bad..it's good!

Everybody wants a Log!
You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your Log!
Everyone needs a Log!

You'll definitely want this log....It's CAKE!  
I decided to try out making a traditional holiday dessert, the Yule Log, since it works so perfectly with our Ren and Stimpy Crock O' Christmas theme this year!


 Here is LOG! naked and X rated!

 Now he is all ready to deliver sticks and twigs to all the mediocre little children of the world!
It's Santa LOG!  I made his attire out of craft foam.


I had read that making these kind of jelly roll cakes are alot of work, which it was, but fun though!  I used this recipe.  My tips and hints: For the bark I dipped a fork in chocolate syrup and dragged it through the icing for a more barkish look.  I did not add the nutella (as the recipe directs) to the filling because I wanted the tree rings to really stand out against the chocolate cake spiral. The top of my cake which is suppose to be the coolest looking part with it's tree rings didn't work out for me.  I apparently went skimpy on the filling at some points because my log didn't get that fun rolly swirly look.  I would recommend after filling the cake to trim the top end right before standing it up which would help to exposed the rings better.  To pretty up the top of my cake I covered it with some of the leftover filling (left over from being too skimpy!), then forked in some of the tan icing for contrast.  Lastly, I drizzled a spiral of chocolate syrup around the top.


I couldn't resist making LOG! act out a traditional Yule Log Cake scene complete with little gnomes noodling around with their pet pig!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Your Yule Log log looks delicious, Mary!!!

My oldest DD (17), wanted to make a mini Yule Log, so she decided to frost and decorate a Ho-Ho! lol!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Ho-ho yule logs are super cute and waaay easier! What fun!

~mary~