Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Casa Bonita Birthday

 


For PB's birthday this year I went with the theme of South Park, his current binge.  Mr. Husband and I used to love watching South Park when it first aired in the 90s and thought it was absolutely hilarious.  I haven't watched it since then so I don't really know much about what's been up with it lately. Meaning I was going to need some help working out how to pull this into a party theme.  Surprisingly the internets were of no help as not a living soul has ever done this as a theme.  I found a few cakes (that were lame ornate fancy bakery decorated deals) but that was it.  I did remember that at one point there was an episode about a Mexican restaurant called Casa Bonita (which happens to be a real place).  I then discovered the episode was about Kyle's birthday, so perfect!


I turned our dining room into South Park's Casa Bonita by painting scenes from the episode on pieces of foam core. 


Cliff Divers!
"C'mon, c'mon dive!  Dive asshole!"

Black Bart's Cave
"Oohh!  Scary! Look a skeleton! Ah man, I'm so scared!" 


Mini set up on the table.



On top of the china cabinet I decided to represent the underlaying part of the episode which involves Cartman tricking Butters into thinking the world has gone through an atomic zombie attack resulting in Butters believing the town dump is South Park.


I made an old timey western jail prop as seen on the episode for photo ops.

For the snacky food I strayed from the Casa Bonita episode.


We had Chef's "Go Fudge yourself" And "I don't really give a Fudge" fudge.



And of course you have to have Cheesy Poofs!
"Hell yeah, I want Cheesy Poofs!"


For the cake I based it after one of Cartman's favorite treats his mom makes for him called Powdered Donut Pancake Surprise.  It's a surprise alright.  The base inside is actually a small round tall cake and then it's encircled with a bunch of pancake rings I made (that was a bit of a bitch to do).  I topped the cake with a large whole pancake.  There's also icing involved on the cake to hold everything together.  Lastly I flourished it with mini powdered donuts and a big pat of butter...and syrup.


Here is PB going down to South Park and having himself a time!




4 comments:

Jennilee said...

Happy Birthday to PB!

You did a great job!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee!

I had fun painting the natural scenes of the cliff divers and the cave but not the Casa Bonita 90 degree architecture. Precision is not my thing!

~mary~

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I wish my birthdays were as interesting & creative as you make your family’s Mary.. I really love your creativity, & am really enjoying working my way through your years of blog posts, especially seeing your home decorated for seasonal holidays, birthdays & events, the themes you choose, the vintage & kitsch items you reuse, & everything you hand make.. These are what make you & your blog unique, & to see how you keep making so many wonderfully creative & interesting memories for your family, it is a pleasure to be allowed to share in your creativity (without overly intruding). So thank you.. Really hope you all had a great time celebrating your son’s birthday.. (& your husband’s).. Best wishes & greetings from Wales.. Cheers.. Ruth (not got a blog so posting as anonymous I’m afraid..)

my house is cuter than yours said...

~Ruth~
Thank you ever so much for the kind comment! I really appreciate your feedback on the posts you like the most also. I LOVE doing things in themes and series. You have nearly 18 years of MHiCTy to sift through so have fun!

~mary~