Friday, May 05, 2023

Hello out there from Birthday Land!


"Hello out there from TV Land, a beautiful place to be!
Nick at Nite, Better Living through good TV!"

For Mr. Husband's birthday theme this year I decided to go with one of our favorite things, Nick at Nite!  Nick at Nite of the 90's shaped who he and I are today.  We love the shows but the hilariously clever ads and promos are where it's at!


I decorated the sideboard to resemble the top of a large furniture style television set complete with doilies, framed photos and an antenna.  I also made prints of vintage televisions featuring the title cards from several of our favorite N@N shows. The remotes are made from prints mounted on super thick foam core.
 

"Take away my house and car.  You can have my VCR.  Leave that 12 inch black and white so I can watch my Nick At Nite!"


" Nick at Nite, those TV classics.  Nick at Nite, No fatty acids! Powerful TV that you can count on! Nick At Nite!"


" Just give me some of that Nick at Nite!  It's television for viewing delight! It's guaranteed to make you feel alright! Just give me some of that Nick at Nite!"


"If television sets could talk and they would tell us the shows they like to play, they'd all agree for viewing delight, they'd rather be tuned to Nick at Nite!"
  


"Sent forth on a quest from TV land, bringing truth and justice in his hand... Delivering milk and hope to a world gone sour...It's Milk Man!"
Nick at Nite's Milk Man is just an epic series of promos!


For Mr. Husband's birthday cake I made a bottle of milk!
I baked a large loaf cake and sliced it into several layers, stacked tall and held together with icing.  I then carved it into a milk bottle shape and iced it.


TV Land citizen: "Hey! we're not paying for that!"

Milkman: "Be kind to your fellow man, that's all the payment I ask!"

TV Land citizen: "What a loon!"

In modern times Nick at Nite is a travesty of it's former self (Good Lord...Friends?!).  MeTV is the best you can get now (but no fun promos).  We own just about all of the classic shows on DVD so we just watch them that way.  But whenever we need to hear the old familiar jingles we pull them up on youtube.  And we do this... a lot!
And don't even get me started on "How to be Swell" A public service from Nick at Nite to help you, the viewer, experience better living through television...

4 comments:

Jennilee said...

Happy Birthday to Mr Husband Sir!

What a fun birthday theme! I love your vintage remote!

I miss Nick at Nite. It had such great classics!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee! I thought the remotes turned out looking real myself!

~mary~

Anonymous said...

Love your creativity, & am really enjoying working my way through your years of blog posts, especially seeing your home decorated for seasonal holidays & events, the themes you choose, the vintage items you use & make.. Really hope you all had a fab time celebrating your husband’s birthday.. (& your son’s).. Best wishes & greetings from Wales.. Cheers.. Ruth (not got a blog so posting as anonymous I’m afraid..)

my house is cuter than yours said...

~Ruth~

Thanks for your kind remarks! You are so sweet!

~mary~