Thursday, July 03, 2014

Blueberry Shortcakes

PB went blueberry picking recently and came home with a whole sack full of the little buggers.  On our first recipe run with them we decided to make blueberry shortcakes!
I made the shortcakes from Jiffy baking mix, only I added coconut to the dough.  For the blueberry sauce I adapted a recipe from my 1961 Betty Crocker's New Picture Cook book.


I used the recipe for Pineapple Filling (click image below for enlargement), only I substituted blueberries.  I also substituted lime juice for lemon, because that's what I had on hand, and it worked quite well I might add.  I then topped everything with whipped cream and more shredded coconut.  They turned out super yummy!
Several years ago I made Strawberry Coconut Shortcakes that were pretty tasty as well.  Here is the recipe that I used both times:

Shortcakes:
2 cups JIFFY Baking Mix
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted shortening
1/2 cup milk
shredded coconut (I used a bit more than 1/4 bag)

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine above ingredients, mix into a soft dough. Turn onto surface dusted with baking mix and knead quickly 20 times. Pat or roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 3 inch circles. Bake on ungreased baking sheet 8-10 minutes. Spoon sweetened fruit on top and between shortcakes. Serve with whipped cream mixed with shredded coconut. Makes 6 shortcakes.
*~~~~~~~~~~~*

I love me some Jiffy mix! Every time I post about Jiffy I can never say enough good stuff about their products!  So let's go over, yet again, why Jiffy is so awesome:


*If you go to their website, you can order a FREE recipe booklet!  I have had mine for several years and use it all the time.  Their website also has a recipe area that lists recipes for each of their products along with 'by meals' (breakfast, desserts, etc...) 

*Another cool thing is the Jiffy plant is open for FREE tours (located in Chelsea, Michigan)!

*Their super cute vintage styled packaging (they have been around since the 1930's) can be turned into fun stuff, such as this memo pad I crafted up several years ago!


* And, lastly, Jiffy mixes can be used in Easy Bake Ovens!



No comments: