Friday, December 24, 2021

Tinsel Town 2021


This year is the ultimate hall decking that I have ever done.  I indeed "went wild with allspice" or maybe I should say peppermint.  Like I do every year I study my past holiday decor photos and look at what was working and bump that area up.  I also try to avoid repeating layouts that looked lame.
Every year I always have a wall or two that don't quite do it for me.  This is usually the "leftovers" wall with the items that I couldn't get to work other places and they just get tossed up together.
This year there are no "leftovers walls"!  Every wall and decorated area is just about near perfection in my Griswoldian style.  

First up is the Dining room:
 




I did the wall and top of the sideboard similar last year but bumped it up this go.



The top of the china cabinet is always home to the Santa Singing Choir o' blow molds.  And since it is always the same I decided to use an old photo from 2016 because I could not get a good photo of this area this year.



So hard to get noncrappy photos in this area due to the bright ass back lighting.


I liked the silver tinsely flair I added to my Mom's Holt Howard Santa pitcher and mug set.

Now heading into the Living room.  This is the top of the record cabinet and it always seemed kinda wonkily decorated every season to me.  This year I finally perfected it!  I folded the tablecloth to where it showed just the print rather than showing a big plain middle section of bland white.  I also bought these little silver tinsel trees new this year (one buck each from Dirt Cheap) and added some little gold ball ornaments (vase filler from Dollar Quarter Tree) to use as a background for the reindeer but they also look pretty from the Dining room side too.


The Green Shelf and wall.  This is the centerpiece of my living room so it has got to look good and sister, it does!  I can't get the whole wall and shelf in a photo so this is the mostly wall shot.

And this is the all shelf photo.  I absolutely LOVE the flanking floor areas.  Those spots always give me an issue every year.  I think the wrapped "presents" are gonna be my regular Saturday night thing from here on out.

A shelfie close-up.

This area is a repeat for several years now.  The Santa Shrine.

In the display area right below the Santa Shrine I put up the village with the robots attacking...only I forgot to put in the flame lights so it's more like the robots are just taking a stroll.


This is a new display this year and I love it!  It's the wall above our computer and it tends to be one of those 'leftovers' walls but this year it's prime.


The couch corner table area is the same as the last few years.

So this wall was on it's way to being the 'leftovers'.  It only had the wreath, the large candy cane, the 2 stockings and the Seasons Greetings tray.  Not bad...but not enough oomph.  I then added the pixies and it was getting better.  On a whim I wedged the Santa cardboard die cut into the candy cane to fill the void...yep, that's it.  Then evened it out with a few smaller candy canes on the other side.  But it still needed something wide on the bottom to balance it all.  I also didn't have many items left in my Christmas what-not arsenal.  I thought about it for longer than I care to admit but it came to me.  I hung a tree skirt on a wooden dowel along with a mini plastic wreath to hid the middle opening.  I think it's fairly brilliant!  This set is going to also be a regular Saturday night thing each year.


Pixies in a candy cane punch bowl hot tub on the coffee table.


He knows when you are sleeping...


Wonky angle of the last wall.


Now for the big area of decor, the centerpiece of the holiday....


The tree...or I should say trees!  I decided this year since I didn't have a tree theme to go big in another way by using 3 trees.  I made an aluminum tree forest with "snow" for the precious deer to frolic in!



The blanket of snow is a couple of white sheets with white Christmas lights underneath.  I used some cotton batting (snow) under the deer to hide their yard stakes.  Lastly I tossed in a bunch of "snowballs" (ginormous white pom poms).

I know it's not becoming for one to toot their own trumpet but I am super proud of how this year's decor turned out.  It's been a really good morale boost for me.  I will sit up sometimes til 2 in the morning just enjoying it, listening/watching a "crackling fire" on the computer screen....just love it.

 I really try every year to improve my Holiday decor so it's kinda fun to see the progression.  Visit these posts of Christmas past to see for yourself:
Robots Attack Christmas 2010 (not too much decor though)


5 comments:

Jennilee said...

Everything looks so wonderful and Mary! You should be proud! Merry Christmas!!!

Jennilee said...

Oops...that should have been wonderful and festive, Mary! lol! I'm not awake yet!

Monica and Rob said...

We did not decorate too much this year. Out landlord took half our garage and most of it is in storage. I love everything you did!! It looks great! I am glad you are decorating big time! I hope all is well and everything is looking up for you! Merry Christmas, stay safe, and have a happy healthy new year!!!!!

Tdub said...

I look forward to your retro Christmas decor every year and you really knocked the ball out of the park this year! I know just what you mean about admiring your creation, I think my favorite thing about Christmas is just relaxing late at night with some classic Christmas music playing, candles, blow mold Santas, fairy lights lit and enjoying how beautiful and sparkly all of my kitschy decorations are. I hope that you and your loved ones had a wonderful Christmas, happy new year to you all♥

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks for all the kind comments about the holiday decor. I just took everything down and the house seems so much bigger but unfortunately not all glimmery or festive anymore. If I could only come up with a way to pull that feel into the everyday decor.... maybe coat everything in silver glitter?!