Saturday, December 22, 2018

Kitschmas Decor 2018



I just love vintage kitschy Christmas stuff.    I have been collecting for 20 years and still love finding 'new' pieces.  95% of it came from thrift stores for cheap which is another thrill for me. I decided to go all out and used just about everything I own this season.  My house is on Kitschmas overload this year! In the words of Clark W. Griswold: "Dear, dear Francis. I hope this adds to your enjoyment of the holidays!"



The green display shelf and focal wall in the living room.


The top shelf is elf turf this year.


Mall Santa class picture.  Say Ho ho ho!  As you can see on the left, I reduced down the mini Santas in his belly so the ones left can now have a good view from the belt.


A familiar sound and quote around holiday time in my house (Halloween/Christmas) is "SHHOOWWP, Thud." and "What fell this time?'  I think this house may be built over the center force of gravitational pull.  I have tried all sorts of products and ideas to get stuff to hang on the wall on a temporary basis but it all fails...tapes, command stripes, tacks... I don't like putting nails in the walls for temporary decor but this year I just went for it and wound up hammering at least 13 nails. I am hoping stuff will finally stay put. The above image is the product of 3 nails.  I really like the arrangement on the walls so I think I will see if I can leave the nails in and use them every year.


Here is a fun little decor deal I came up with on a whim.  I was trying to find a way to display the 'new' Christmas tree topper, and I tried it out as a finial on one of the lamps and it fit!



These plastic Christmas ornaments were part of a big bag of Christmas stuff I got for 5 bucks.  I was trying to douse everything with some holiday cheer so this plant got accessorized.


Santa and his new reindeer pal hanging out with the noisy clanky color wheel I hodge podged together from a couple of broken ones picked up from thrift stores and estate sales.



The 'new' lamp infested with styrofoam elfin magic.



This is another project/idea I have been wanting to do for a couple of years and made it happen this year.  I had an old rusty record holder rack that I fixed up and put all of our Christmas albums in.  We like to listen to them every year but I wanted to also have them out to be seen and easily accessed.



And speaking of displaying records I hung a couple on the wall this year.  We just found the 'cat in the Christmas box' record this year and had to display it somewhere!  Still need to listen to it though.  One of my favorite Christmas albums is "Jingle Cats" but I don't think cats are singing on this record.  The other record I hung up is a Dennis Day and Jack Benny album.  We love Jack Benny but can pass on Dennis Day, which occupies 99% of the content, so it can stay in a frame.


The Santa Choir meets every day to rehearse on top of the china cabinet in the dining room.  You would think that by now they would know the lyrics to "Jingle Bells".



The sideboard in the dining room.  PB has plans of decorating this tree in a theme of his choosing this year but for now "the little lights aren't twinkling."

Jingle all the way to these posts of Christmas past:
2017

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

You may have pulled everything out, Mary, but it looks fabulous! You have everything just where it needs to go :) It all looks so festive! Merry Christmas!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I like to look at images of my past holiday decorating and think I have improved some on arrangement over the years. I guess that helps to make it all not look too cluttered!
Thanks Jenn! And MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours!