Monday, October 31, 2016

Amish Paradise

Been spending most our lives living in an Amish Paradise.
We're just plain and simple guys.
Living in an Amish Paradise.

I never wear buttons but I got a cool hat
And my homies agree
I really look good in black, fool!

I'm a man of the land, I'm into discipline.
Got a bible in my hand and a beard on my chin.
But if I finish all of my chores and you finish thine,
Then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699.

There's no phone, no lights, no motor car
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Caruso
It's as primitive as can be.

Hitchin' up the buggy
Churnin' lots of butter
Raised a barn on Monday, soon I'll raise anutter!


We sell quilts at discount price
Living in an Amish Paradise.

You know I shun fancy things like electricity...

If you come to visit you'll be bored to tears
We haven't even paid the phone bill in 300 years
but we ain't really quaint, so please don't point and stare
We're just technologically impaired!

An Amish with a 'tude?  You know that's unheard of!
So don't be vain and don't be whiny
or else, my brother, I may have to get medieval on your heinie!

I've churned butter once or twice
Living in an Amish Paradise.
But you probably think it bites
Living in an Amish Paradise!


Our Halloween costumes this year were inspired by one of our fam's favorite artists,
"Weird" Al Yankovic and his song "Amish Paradise"!
We LOVE Weird Al.  We had the opportunity to see him live in concert during the summer. So much fun...
Mandatory Fun!

It was really hard to pick which song of his to represent because there are so many great ones.  "Tacky", "Like a Surgeon", and of course "White and Nerdy" were all good options.  But I have a thing with liking wearing a beard and Hubs is already bearded so Amish won.

For our photos I happened to find this little local roadside cafe that had the horse buggy on it's property.  We got all of the broken electronics from the local university's discard pile.  PB had waaay too much fun destroying that stuff.  The chickens were a complete surprise.  As we were setting up our camera and getting our beards in place all of a sudden a huge brood of chickens stormed toward us out of no where!  We found out they live on the property next door and enjoy getting handouts from the cafe visitors.  We didn't have any half eaten pizza to offer so unfortunately they didn't stick around for too long.

I like to think I could be Amish sometimes.  I enjoy simple life.  I'm not really into technology. The idea of living completely off the grid and self sufficient is beyond enticing.   However being Amish isn't an option for me, they don't celebrate Halloween... and that's against my religion.

If for some forsaken reason you have never heard Amish Paradise by Weird Al Yankovic, hitch up your buggy here:

2 comments:

MySpecialAgent said...

Me and my brother used to drive my parents insane singing this song all day, every day.
Great costume idea!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks My Special Agent!

Thou singing art insane to thy parents! Ha!
We always prefer Weird Al's versions of any song. He improves them!

~mary~