Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Christmas Story Menu


One of the best holiday movies.... A Christmas Story.
There are so many great lines and scenes.  I decided to incorporate some of them into a themed dinner along with our family viewing of the movie this season!

"Show mommy how the piggies eat!"
As the main course, we had meatloaf, beatloaf, I hate meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Not going there with the boiled red cabbage, but we did have sauteed spinach as a substitute.


"He looks like a deranged Easter bunny."
For dessert we had deranged Easter bunny cookies along with 'Don't forget to drink your..' Ovaltine.

The recipes for the meatloaf and the sugar cookies came from a couple of my vintage cookbooks.

 Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book 1956


My take:  I used soy sauce in place of Worcestershire sauce (didn't have).  I also didn't have dry mustard or celery salt, who does?!  I used Tony's and greek seasoning instead. I also threw in 1/4 cup of instant brown rice that was hanging around needing to be used up.  I made a topping out of catsup and soy sauce.  It turned out pretty well considering I don't really care for red meat.

The cookie recipe is from another vintage Betty Crocker cook book but I didn't like the overly sticky consistency and flimsiness of the dough so it is not getting my approval.  Just use sugar cookie mix.



Oh yeah!  We also dressed in our Christmas Story jammies and pink bunny ears!
 Hope you all got what you wanted for Christmas... an official Red Ryder carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time...and not a football.  I don't think a football is a very good Christmas present.

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

What an awesome, fun dinner, Mary!

This is one of our favorite movies, too :) My favorite line is "Quickly, I whipped up some tears!" I thought at first, maybe it would be a Chinese dinner. lol!

Don't shoot me, but I have both dry mustard and celery salt! Too bad we aren't neighbors...you could have borrowed :)

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I got (among other things) an Instant Pot and a mini MISTI!

my house is cuter than yours said...

We usually have Chinese food for New Years. We have thought seriously of skipping the stressful family christmas meal and just go out to a Chinese restaurant though!

What do you use the dry mustard for? My grandmother told me if I add it to beans it reduces flatulence. Have you ever heard of that before?

I bet you are loving your Instant Pot! How many pressure cookers are you up to now?!:)
I looked up the misti but I can't understand how it simplifies one's stamping life.

I got a bunch of Ed Wood stuff for Christmas : movie sound track, Ed Wood biography book the movie was based after, Ed Wood dvd biography and vintage film clips of him, Ed Wood movie promotional folder from opening night 1994, Ed Wood buttons, enamel Tor Johnson pin... Ed Wood is my favorite movie (and Mary Poppins!). I also got some vintage Disneyland postcard sets and a huge stack of vintage cook booklets (among other things!)

Glad you had a great holiday!

~mary~

Jennilee said...

I don't how I missed these questions from last year, Mary! I am so sorry!

I use dry mustard primarily in my homemade macaroni and cheese. Sometimes I'll use it in a pinch in egg salad or deviled eggs if I'm out of regular mustard, too. I have never heard of adding it to beans to reduce flatulence! That's definitely a new one to me!

Let's see, I have the instant pot, 3 pressure cooker/canners, and two or three small pressure cookers. The collection keeps growing!

The Misti is most useful if you are mass making cards and you want them all to look the same. Or if you want to place something just so, and don't want to mess it up. It also helps if you need to restamp an image, you will get exact placement instead of guessing if you are lined up correctly.

Sounds like you got great gifts last year! Hope Santa was just as good to you this year! Merry Christmas!